Help me ward off a cold

Class+

ironic you ask this because im just about to finish an assignment for anthropology on folk models and remedies for the common cold - basically the vast majority of ‘cold bugs’ are virusis so there really no ‘cure’ - however the WHO has a couple of tips 1. dont take cough supressents because coughing is a good thing, gets the phlegm out. antihistamines may work but no real evidence. cough syrups help sooth the throat but they’re mostly expensive and contain other nasties the WHO recomend 1 part lemon juice, 1 part honey to a cup of boiling water, does the same thing and is cheaper.

ps - there is little to no evidence of vitamin C or any other ‘supplements’ help to shorten or lessen the severity of a cold, cant hurt though either i guess?

Do all the mentioned remedies at once, at the same time.

I wouldn’t reccomend that. It may work but there are some bad side effects.

you may win beard of the year though.

whenever i get that slight runny nose and a tickle in the back of the throat, i start off with a big bowl of steaming hot water. towel over the head, inhalation for 15mins. twice a day. always works.
my GP (and other gp’s) have said that this is a proven method! something about the hot steam breaking down the bacteria…and more scientific shit. but since that advice i’ve never gone back to the gp.

i never ever use cold and flu tablets, they are bullshit. i only ever drink water, which is always good for you, and hot lemongrass and ginger tea, with some Manuca honey. that tea rulez. that honey, though pricey, is great too!

^ I did read an article that it’s about the same as having a hot shower or a cup of tea. Having said that, I have done it in the past and felt better afterwards…putting my head over a bowl of steaming water, that is.

this. 10 hours doesn’t hurt either!

semen. gallons of semen.

so is a sauna beneficial? done it a couple times…followed by 1000mg of paracetamol.

speaking from experience jamie?

the only time i’ve been in a sauna, my mates and i drank copious amounts of alcohol, and got ridiculously drunk. i wouldn’t have a clue in relation to the cold thing. but hey give it a go i spose?

i had, at the time, asked my GP whether putting in a couple drops of eucalyptus oil (or other) would help, but he said it made no difference, it’s all in how the steam breaks down the bacteria etc…

IF you do try the bowl inhalation method, DO NOT BREATHE IN THROUGH YOUR NOSE! burns.painful. exhaling through the nose, however, ain’t so bad.

I have heard drinking your own urine works wonders. You should totally sip on your wee.

Exactly. A cold is caused by a virus last time I heard…

Pisstacular!

haha yep did that as well, except someone dropped the bottle of vodka on the hot floor…lets just say we all got pretty wasted fast from the fumes

Men in hot tubs and drinking urine?.. I’ll stick to whiskey.

hot tubs filled with “semen, gallons of semen”.

Sauna, Fuck Yeah.

not for the cold, just cos they’re awesome.

If anyone does have access to a sauna, like the proper rock ones and not the shitty infra red ones. Get a bottle of water… chuck some eucalyptus oil in there (about 2 teaspoons) and chuck some on the rocks. Best thing ever.