Home Brew Beer

I now have beer on tap at home. Bonza.

6 Likes

Yes! Great work mate. Such a good feeling when you can just pour a beer in your own house.

1 Like

It was 10am in Canberra?

1 Like

Itā€™s called intoxicated

4 Likes

beer on tap at home, similar to playstation at home, would ruin me.

3 Likes

Well Iā€™ve had some beers come out less-than-great, but never quite this bad: Coronavirus South Africa: Couple die after drinking homemade beer | news.com.au ā€” Australiaā€™s leading news site

Yikes. Interested to find out what happened. Did they use something other than hops? Did they use some filthy ass bottles/fermenters? Was it actually moonshine they made and they got methanol poisoning? Is this actually sensationalist claptrap and they died from something unrelated, but the SA Gov doesnā€™t want people circumventing the no booze sales rules?

Like these guys? Grabbed the methanol not the ethanolā€¦

Holy heck - yeah, I would be keen to find out what they did wrong. I can imagine youā€™d have to fuck up big time to die from home brewing beer!

What is everyone else brewing at the moment? I dry hopped my first NEIPA yesterday. Developed my own recipe.

Iā€™m often dying for a beer after work, but this is ridiculous. (boom, tish!)

Iā€™ve got an English bitter in the fermenter at the moment. Itā€™s almost down to its expected FG after a week, so Iā€™ll probably rack in into the secondary tonight and chuck some hops in with it.

I wanted something for winter drinking, but for some reason didnā€™t want to do a porter or stout, so I thought a good malty English ale would do the job. But the colour is a lot lighter than I expected - be interesting to see how it comes out in the glass.

Whatā€™s that Giga yeast, Ezy? Recipe looks the goods, some tasty hops in there.

Here you go sunshine!

https://beerco.com.au/collections/yeast/products/vermont-ipa-gy054-gigayeast

1 Like

Did a NEIPA yesterday as I need some freezer space and have too many hops still.
Kegged a dark mild yesterday and have a 80s Pacific Northwest style Pale Ale (considered a cream ale these days) in the fermenter, bound for a keg later this week.

Just kicked the keg of Riwaka/Rakau hopped session IPA I put on a couple weeks ago. Other than that I still have half a keg of maibock that went on tap on April 30.

Thats a good amount of beer there! What is your brewing set up?

BIAB in a couple 10gal SS Brewtech standard pots. SS Brewtech 7gal Chronical fermenter in a homemade fermentation chamber (made from a modified standing freezer with temp controller, probe in the fermenter) and a couple Better Bottles for other batches. In a pinch (such as heavy brewing seasons around Christmas and early fall, when I might be doing 3-4 batches in a day), Ill use every fermenter I have, and then resort to repurposed PubKegs. Have 7 20L kegs in my stable and a number of polypins for real ale on special occasions. Two hand pumps and 4 regular taps. Always get remarks when people visit my place as its a total bachelor pad. Modern furniture in one room and beer and bikes everywhere else.

Thought about building a better system, but I can make pretty consistent beer with what I got, and equipment is quite expensive in Japan as you basically have to DIY or import it yourself. Also, Iā€™d rather spend that money on my pro kit. Having spent plenty of time on a platform, I prefer it to homebrewing, but with my current setup it feels more like a hobby and less like work.

1 Like

Wow! Never got into full on water profiles when I was BIABā€™ing a few years back. Recent NEIPAs Iā€™ve loved though had either Oats/Wheat (maybe both) to give a bit more texture (mouthfeel?). Maybe adds to their cloudy nature as well. Could try a bit in your grain bill as a test?

To be honest - I am not really understanding the water chemistry side of things in homebrew, but my brewing software helps me with advising what I need to do to my water to match a particular style based on my reverse osmosis water set up.

My understanding with the water chemistry in the NEIPAā€™s is it also helps with silky mouthfeel alongside the use of oats etc.

1 kg of Big O (oat malt) in that recipe. Oat malt adds a ton of mouth feel and proteins for cloudyness. Wheat will dry a beer out some, but does add the proteins that contribute to haze. Proper water adjustment is necessary to really get the haze and soft mouthfeel in a NEIPA though.
Basically, heavy on added calcium (through CaCl2). Paradoxically, a small amount of CaCl2 actually helps clarify beer, but excess contributes to haze.

Aha! So itā€™s already there. Did not know what Big O malt was. Indeed, interesting on the impact of calcium chloride in small vs larger doses. Thanks!

I was actually going to used rolled oats for this one, but then I found out about the Gladfield Big O malt so I ordered some of that in as it sounds like it will suit the purpose more.

I have another recipe lined up that will use the rolled oats. I am aiming for a bit of a hazy pale ale. I am a bit undecided for the yeast as I have the US-05 or Lallemand New England to use.

EDIT: You may need to click on the image to view at full size.

1 Like

Sounds like I need to book a post-rona mtb trip to Stromlo, Majura, BentSpoke, and HardKnock!

1 Like