Home Brew Beer

Don’t forget Capital Brewery, they are doing some great beers currently which are appealing to me more than Bentspoke at the moment.

But yes, come shred.

1 Like

Ive never actually used that Gladfield, but seems its kinda like an oat base malt, which is intriguing.
When homebrewers first started trying to do hazies, a lot were using Simpsons Golden Naked Oats, which is huskless oat crystal malt. Not the right malt for that kind of beer as it ads a fair bit of sweetness and the oat oily, nutty flavor is extremely strong. However, I use it to good effect in a not so traditional bitter and a delicious oat coffee porter.

This is a whole new world to me with exploring what all grain can bring to the table rather than extract. I am enjoying the recipe development process to create different beers just from the Gladfield American Pale Ale Base malt. Adjusting small things like different hop combos and hop amounts as well as some sort of specialty malt to provide a more unique beer.

There will be a time where I should follow a recipe though, just to see if what I am creating compares to tried and tested.

A couple of the latest NEIPAs. The best of the two is the SNAFU which has a bit more going on.

The other NEIPA was the single hop sabro. Loads of creamy tropical and coconut flavour in this one. However I just used rolled oats vs the Gladfield Big O malts and I prefer the Big O. There is a slight slimeyness with the rolled oats… still a great beer.

All in all, I am really enjoying this process, these last two beers I have been so happy with the results and I can easily say that they would stand next to some of the fancy NEIPAs that you’d buy at the bottle-o in a cool can design for $9.

4 Likes

they look good to me. stoked that you are stoked on the results, i know you’re pretty critical of your own brews.

Great work, they look about perfect (perhaps a little dark for some, but I think they look great).

Working from home today and need to get a keg of something refreshing, light and hoppy ready for a combined Canada Day, American Independence Day and Bastille Day BBQ (guess where the hosts are from) in a couple weeks. Ferm chamber is currently tied up with a helles, so gonna do a near ambient ferment with some Voss Kveik chips Ive had in the freezer for a couple years.
Its one of the original mixed strains that a friend brought me from a brewer friend in Bergin. Ive used it a couple times to brew really fast beers mid-summer, but I never dried/froze it myself. Absolutely ripped through the starter though, so seems healthy.

Must just be the Gladfield American Ale Malt, because when you put these two next to each other - they are identical. What do you use in the NEIPA style?

I picked up 5kg of Maris Otter yesterday - am looking at an ESB next, or something along those lines.

So whats the Kveik finish like? A few people have mentioned that it leaves a strange aftertaste in the beer? What are you going to brew? I have been looking at something like this for summer:

I use Weyermann pilsner malt or Asahi pilsner malt for the base, then flaked oats and flaked barley mostly. Sometimes add in a tiny bit of a very light crystal malt and a bit of wheat flour in the boil as kinda an old habit.

MO is a lovely malt in itself. Lots of flavor.

This mixed culture is known for giving an orange quality to the beer, but Ive never pitched it in substantially low enough cell count to stress it all that much. Every beer I’ve made with it in the past came out very clean. Cleaner than US-05 IMO.
Ended up doing a very simple blonde base with late hopping like a juicier pale ale. Pitched yeast at 30C and the airlock was going like hell by midnight Friday.

Latest beer is in the fermenter doing it’s thing. I was going to do the ESB with the Marris Otter, but then I tried a few commercial offerings and decided that I’d rather something more Pale Ale. So I looked in the freezer at my hops and decided to go with a Riwaka Pale Ale. Looking back at it, I really should have left out the oats. Recipe below:

2 Likes

Which leaves me to my next beer! I have finally gotten through my base malts apart from 500g of both the MO and the Gladfield American Ale malt - and for some reason I have a lot of the wheat malt.

I’d like to get rid of the Calypso and Ekuanot so I am thinking of some kind of IPA/Pale Ale which will lean heavily on the Ekuanot. I will need to get some more base malt though.

My dwindling supply stash:

1 Like

I like the sound of the Riwaka PA - wouldn’t mind trying something like that for my next brew. Why do you think you should have left out the oats?

Oats and MO? Its gonna be real real heavy on malt character. Could be good, but Riwaka is a nice showcase hop, so I’d tend to keep malt flavor more in the background.

Hindsight, I would have definitely left the oats out. I have really enjoyed the past two brews where I have added the oats and the mouthfeel it creates which is why I added it in there - but I played around with the amount, this is a small amount compared to the last time (400g compared to 1kg). Hopefully I avoid an overly malty beer as I really want to see what Riwaka can bring.

I have swum in the Riwaka river. Was really cold. That is all

“Simpson you diabolical…”

I see, I see… Riwaka can bring shrinkage.

As always, here is a quick little design for it. I am thinking that Ghost Chips will be a series of showcasing NZ hops. I had a beer from Garage Project last night and it was one of the best commercial beers I have had in a long time. Breakdown of what they used below:

Malt: Halcyon, Oats, Rye
Hops: Citra, Strata, Riwaka
Yeast: Wyeast 1318 London III

Good design, but don’t give up your day job eh. :wink::wink:

1 Like

I don’t design much these days to be honest - more documentation stuff for signage. I feel like an architect, 10% fun of designing - the remainder is speccing up the job for construction and making sure it is all safe and to standard.

Ghost Chups

2 Likes