I CRASH FIXIE - FREE!

no love for Perth? :cry:

ill grab some if you do! :mrgreen:

as i said “my understanding of copyright is a 10% difference when it comes to visual aspects (well, guitars anyway)”.

Thats why you see guitars that look like a fender (or squier) telecaster/strat or a gibson (epiphone) sg/les paul but have a different head stock or slightly different body shape.

from a graphics design point of view, im blank.

Brisbane? I thought it was Bliss N Eso :?

BNE

i’de like to crash my bike into bliss n’ eso.

I was told it is 10% , i am in the process of tracking down the orignal designer of the LA sticker and asking premission to produce the rehased layout,

Note again : im not making a profit i just wanted to show how cool the logo was, it was only when people wanted stickers / shirts i rehased the layout for various citys around aus.

I didnt want this to turn into a debate about copyright yes i am a designer i know copying is bad but this logo the orignal i love NYC has been spoofed 50 million times

I can take them down if people are having issues

cheers

ps
bliss n’ eso need to be sent away never to return

Nobodies making any money here- I wouldn’t worry about it…

FWIW, it looks like the “original” design has appropriated the crashing cyclist from one of the many tram track warning signs, common in Christchurch and other places.

Imgur

Hey, at least he is wearing a helmet, or is that a bowl haircut?

My mate is a furniture designer and this seems to concur with what he says, although I realise this forum is crawling with designers too. I seem to remember him saying you have to change X% as well… perhaps it was 10%. Anyway: he said that in furniture design, you can change, for example, the frame from wood to aluminium: even though the visual facade is identical, this is sufficient to avoid copyright infringements.

Is the design a rip off? Yes. Is it illegal? Probably not, depends on how good your lawyer is. Right click, save as, right click, send to printer.

+1

being a designer myself, i know it’s a very fine line with copyright and I am all for respecting other people’s art, style, work etc. But in this case there’s seriously nothing to worry about IMHO. Don’t waste your time tracking down the original designer mate. The icon’s used for the logo are probably from a random dingbat font or free online clipart archive and there’s really not that much creative genius or personal style behind it. Don’t think he tracked down the original designer of the I heart NY logo and asked for permission either :wink:
I could write a whole book on graphic design/print rip-offs in the apparel industry that I witnessed in the last couple of years but I only know of a hand full of cases that ever went to court. And those were blatant rip-offs by big international corporations that tend to rip each other off to a degree that no one dares to point the finger anymore.

Relax :slight_smile:

Where’s that link to Mike Giant’s rip offs?
Here it is.

Just call it Post Modernism. Intellectualise it and you’re OK. . . I work for the biggest “referencing” firm in the country, though there was a bit of schtick over referencing a certain Museum in Berlin

Corporations are usually the entities that one should avoid messing with, as they have the money to prosecute even the most trivial of infringements.

The (original) sticker in question is most likely produced by a very small company, so probably not much chance of legal action, though ridicule (online etc.) may ensue.

All this talk of Copyright brings to mind a certain new cycling cap design seen here in these very forums.

When the ‘company’ that you are ‘ripping off’ is ST and Cyco Mike, not sure what the reaction/retaliation might be.

UPDATE!

After monitoring the forum at work i am finally back on my own computer.

I will shortly have a weblink to download an editable PDF
so anyone capable of operating illustrator can reword or rehash the logo to whatever that want.

I didn’t realize this logo would get such a strong response,

Please go ahead edit rehash remake and redo into whatever you want , t shirts stickers world domination

cheers

Not the logo, but the notion that it was copyright.

Download Link

http://designbennettrust.net/_/icrashfixie.html

free to use free to ruin free to burn free to print free to eat

i just thought it was odd that you’d put your own copyright on it. as already pointed out, that’s probably just a template you put a lot of your stuff on.

Now who wants to buy my new t-shirt :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea i didnt realize the huge debate that people had over it ,

nice t but , should be maybe start a fixie shirt post?

i fkn hate those BNE stickers. SO BORING. i understand getting up, but shit, maybe could try for like 1% creativity

Please note :
that everything i said is copyrighted and i am having a lawyer draw up a legal contract :stuck_out_tongue:

has all this farse about a logo been triggered by the crap weather?

Shouldn’t we be riding more then debating on a forum?

cheers