Is the human race getting stupider?

Exhibit A

What’s the rush? Planner demands cyclist speed limit

Cr Ong wears an asshat.
The issue would be the red light running if anything.

i wrote him an email.
mainly complaining about the inflammatory language.
it’s absurd, he almost gets hit by someone running a red and that means there should be a speed limit. it makes no sense.

no talk of extending that speed limit to motor vehicles i take it?

Yeah the real elephant in the room. Can’t believe he called bikes ‘silent killers’, if you look at the statistics nothing could could be further from the truth.
Also why does the age print this rubbish- just one persons biased opinion because he once had a bad incident with a cyclist.

Because journalism is all but dead. It’s all about readership/ratings and advertising now.

Pedestrians walking against red lights seems to be the biggest issue, even compared to cyclists running red lights.

As the article reads “But a recent police operation in the city aimed at improving the behaviour of cyclists and pedestrians detected far more pedestrians than cyclists flouting the road rules.”

I feel like the article portrays Cr Ong to be using his position to attempt personal vengeance

I agree with all of this…

But a recent police operation in the city aimed at improving the behaviour of cyclists and pedestrians detected far more pedestrians than cyclists flouting the road rules.
During the five-day Operation Road Runner, more than 270 pedestrians and 40 cyclists were booked for breaking road rules.
Senior Constable Shane Wright said many people were distracted when crossing roads in the city.
‘‘People who are deep in conversations with someone else or on mobile phones, or listening to music and just don’t take notice when they come up to intersections and they step out on to the road in cyclists’ paths or in cars’ paths and that’s how we get a lot of our problems,’’ he said.
Senior Constable Wright said he did not see the need for a separate speed limit for cyclists, instead he said all road users should work on safety together. ‘‘Everyone needs to be educated to learn they are not the only person on the road,’’ he said.

Same here. I prefer ‘whispering death’.

that’s actually why I bought new wheels with a louder buzz, sick of accidentally killing pedestrians.

i do a double take and whipskid pedestrians into cars so i dont get the blame.

my favourite part is where Cr Ong doesn’t actually look both ways when crossing a road, he just relies on the absolute fact that no vehicles have ever run a red light before this one cyclist ran a red “and almost killed him.”

buddy, rule number one of crossing a road. it doesn’t matter if you’ve got a green man, it doesn’t matter if you can’t hear anything, it doesn’t matter if it’s a one way street, you look both fucking ways before you step onto a road.

or i guess we could become even more coddled by victoria’s draconian laws and fines…

Zing.

Looking out for yourself is the most important thing in this world. Very few people take responsibility for their own actions in this day and age.

becoming like america

add to retrofit list:

bell
speedometer
slow cooker