Lets talk Bags

I dig Archive Bags - Handmade in San Francisco, California from the west coast
& http://merbags.blogspot.com on the east coast

+1 Mission workshop for off the rack.

not until september i think.

Ortieb Messenger or GTFO:

^^ functional… probably. Looking like you have plastic strapped to your back… mos def.

What I am also after style wise is a bag that doesn’t look out of place in the office.

ORP - Backpacks - Bags | CHROME | Official Site

These look super cool.

No wonder people give me weird looks in the office with my Ortlieb.

Most common statement- “Gee that’s a big bag you got there.”
My response- “No shit Sherlock”
Awkward silence usually follows…

What is that plastic panel? Like an envelope?

Yeah you can slide stuff in there and show it off, because reasons.

I have a chrome Metropolis and a Crumpler Famous Winebar (that I got from someone on here). I like the Chrome better - but they can both fit tools & spares & change of clothes & lock & case of coopers green + a few ciders/bottles of wine. Both are water proof, but neither have light loops (though I sewed my own on the chrome). The crumpler is better for getting things out of the front pockets without opening the main flap (which isn’t poss on the chrome). Both are equally comfy, though the chrome can take a bit of re arranging when there is weird shapes or if fully loaded. I have carried a frame & 2 wheels on the chrome (not at the same time), and regularly strap my skatey to it and ride to skateparks. The Crumpler’s straps are a little too wide to be totally comfy and when you use the sternum strap to cinch them in they dig in to my man boobs and it hurts a little. The crumpler also restricts vision when loaded wheras the chrome doesn’t.

I highly recommend the chrome metropolis for all your bag needs. Sort of.

The more I have been looking, the more these seem to be pretty damn good. I found this video…
T-Level Challenger Review on Vimeo

It does have a LOT of straps though. It may be way over thought rather than the simpler Rambler.

dooo eeettt

Fuck t.level.

BO Gear - Chunky toad. I’ve just had one made out of x-pac instead of the standard material and it’s rad. Haven’t had a chance to test out it’s waterproofness but for usage wise it’s fanstastic. Nice size pocket for wallet/key/phone/mouse/kiloofcoke and the ulock sleeve is awesome. Internal dividers are hand to!
Yet to find it’s limit.

after watching dave’s video i thought the pleated dividers are a very good idea, and so good to have a video to review/explain your own product.

Hmmm, just watched that video. It’s a lot clearer what the chunky toad can do now… Hmm. I just think it might be on the big side for what I am looking for.

ask him to make it slightly smaller?

I have one of these. Don’t buy it. I find I’m always having to shift it around my back. It’s okay for shortish commutes but for the long term it’s not. I might buy one of those Waterproof backpack roll up messenger ones for when i move further away from my destination for my daily commute. I carry a laptop and a few books and lunchbox etc.

But…

If your looking at carrying small light stuff, it’s really good. I use it when I go to the track and hold another skin suit for if it gets too hot or cold for a long sleeve/short sleeve, water bottle, a snack, phone, wallet, ipod, all the other stuff… it’s pretty good when i go to the track, yeah.

this is no fancy pants boutique backpack/bike brand bag (tots mainstream in fact) but i think its great for what you get/pay for. water proof. big enough, inner laptop sleeve bit, elastic pockets outside, loops for chords, top pocket. well made, comfy. ~$70

Yup, I am pretty much in the same boat. These types of bags are great for really short stints, but they move way too much when getting out of the saddle and smashing up a hill. The bag that I am using…

can carry sneakers, jeans, shirt and a bit of lunch and it is pretty much it’s limit. I have travelled with the bag around Japan and it is great for day trips when you have based yourself out of a hotel room. I wouldn’t recommend it for anything more though.

Wow a bag thread i havent nerded out on…

Some other options:
Bailey Works - they have been making bags for boston messengers for a very long time and have a long hard earnt good reputation for quality stuff in/outside the messenger industry (ie they make bags for both richard sachs and embrocation cycling teams) plus one of the mods has been abusing his for years and like his tattoos it still remains in very reasonable shape.
Reload - I’ll be honest, the original reload packs were very simple but very tough. the updates while making them more functional/technical seemed to introduce some issues. or maybe its that i wont forgive them for making the side pocket mesh and thus not useful for holding your lock. my midpack has seen 6 years of daily use in all weathers and carrying a variety of foolhardy cargos and still looks in great shape.
zugster - good luck getting on his list… ive never seen his stuff IRL but i lurked on his flickr for a really long time when he was developing and he puts a lot of thought into his designs.
Freight - serious (and arguably deserved) hype for the longest time, but the last 2 packs i saw of his IRL disappointed me. changes have been made that reduced the overall design seemingly in the aid of ‘shortcuts’, im still hoping this was an aberration rather than a norm. he does have some of my favorites colour schemes around.

but seriously… talk to dave @ BOGear, he will build you a bag for years of daily use, not just for christmas.

Wow a bag thread i havent nerded out on…

Some other options:
Bailey Works - they have been making bags for boston messengers for a very long time and have a long hard earnt good reputation for quality stuff in/outside the messenger industry (ie they make bags for both richard sachs and embrocation cycling teams) plus one of the mods has been abusing his for years and like his tattoos it still remains in very reasonable shape.
Reload - I’ll be honest, the original reload packs were very simple but very tough. the updates while making them more functional/technical seemed to introduce some issues. or maybe its that i wont forgive them for making the side pocket mesh and thus not useful for holding your lock.
zugster - good luck getting on his list… ive never seen his stuff IRL but i lurked on his flickr for a really long time when he was developing and he puts a lot of thought into his designs.
Freight - serious (and arguably deserved) hype for the longest time, but the last 2 packs i saw of his IRL disappointed me. changes have been made that reduced the overall design seemingly in the aid of ‘shortcuts’. he does have some of my favorites colour schemes around.

but seriously… talk to dave @ BOGear, he will build you a bag for years of daily use, not just for christmas.