Mavic Open Pro Ceramic no more?

Looks like Mavic have pulled the ceramic Open Pro’s this year :frowning: I was hoping they might have an Exalith version but sadly not either). It’s all about getting people to buy wheelsets, not hand-built wheels I guess.

But they have new graphics, yay

correct, no more ceramics

i suspect it is because they couldnt get the ceramic coating reliable enough (ie too many warranty returns)

Shame. So basically nobody makes a ceramic 700c rim anymore? I note DT Swiss have a 26" V-brake ceramic but no road rim.
I really wanted to try them out and enjoy a rim that lasts forever. The Open Pro CD’s I’ve got are pretty good although the anodising has mostly rubbed off now.

Get in quick: Ceramic Open Pro

Mavic are insane if they don’t do an Exalith Open Pro/Reflex.

Horatio, how long did your CDs stay ano’d for before they started wearing off? I’m thinking about some for my next set of wheels but if they start looking tatty really quickly, then I think I’ll take a pass.

No there are pretty good actually, not permanent but the anodising lasted for a good couple of months (it’s still perfect on the rear, just getting a bit messy on the front rim)

Instead of starting a new thread, I’m looking at the 2012 Open Pros.

Does anyone know if the rim itself, geometrically, is the same as the older (say 2010/2011) models; i.e. the ERD is the same?

Can’t find anything on the web, especially the Mavic website (I could be wrong, but I can’t find shit on there!)

thanks

Just checked the 2012 OP we have at work - same as the previous years (604).

hey andy, thanks a lot for that. weirdly the web says 602 or 603 for OP ERD…

Anyone know who sells Open Pro to Aus- most of the shops don’t ship Mavic to Australia anymore.

I’ve got a some of these on a bike, Horatio. I’ll get back to you when they die.

I’m sure Bike24 do, but their site seems to be down at the moment.

Scratch that.

Bike24 - Mavic Open Pro Felge silber 2012

Anyone got experience with the Reflex tubular rim? They are very light and hear stories about them being not very durable. Thoughts?

I personally think mavic have lost the plot,
Ipersonally would prefer a wider rim like tb14, Achertype or hed belgium.

They should do a 23mm wide rim, with there new finish in multiple drillings.

A23 - Side walls are machined though.

You hear this a lot. My open pros have been fine though. Do hplusson do tubular rims?
there is always the nemesis rim

Does anyone know how the brake track on the HplusSon TB-14 rim is- it appears that it is NOT machined unlike the Archetype. Does this make the braking performance is slightly compromised?

Thanks,

Pretty certain that they are machined and just anodized over the top. Just like the Mavic Open Pro CDs were.

TB14 | H PLUS SON

Machined Braking Surface