max spacer stack?

you’ve been around fixed bicycles long enough to know better than to consider irrelevant concepts like bike fit when deciding on bike fit!

FASHION OVER FUNCTION FOREVER

ignoring f-f-f-f-fashion for a moment, there is an actual issue of an unsupported length of carbon steerer from bearing to top cap and the leverage involved. This is why extended head tubes exist for the less flexible. I would contact the fork/frame maker and ask their advice on max stack.

Wait, what? please explain.

ive never run a spacer on top of my carbon steerer. should i be??? the the steerer cap (fuck knows what to call it) is a good 1-2 mm thick and kinda countersinks flush into my stem.

there have been failures where the stem is clamped over the top edge of the steerer instead of over a continuous length of it. I believe Trek mandate this. For safety, drop your stem 1-2mm until the steerer pokes out a fraction, then fit a 1/2mm spacer and your topcap.

It’s not so common with new forks and if your expander system is siting at the top clamp point then it’s going to reinforce the steerer tube. Also Carbon paste and not over torquing your stem also reduce the Likey hood.
I wouldn’t slam the cap on a late 90s look fork but have no issue with a modern fork eg an enve 2.0

Thanks blakey, i thought this would be the issue.

and yeah SK mine is newer stuff, also has an alloy sleave insert with star nut in it glued at the top of the steerer to reinforce. + my stem is VERY gingerly done up, carbo grit??? i think it is and slight tension seems to hold real well

my favourite thing about SLAM THAT STEM is you get to sort out the idiots

I’ve been using Columbus Gap Cap plugs for a while and chucking the stock plug away. The GC’s about 45mm long and provides internal support at the top of the steerer, but can be a PITA to get out if & when necessary.

Tell that to Cav.

cav is the leader of the MAMILs so his setup is null and void

^ OOooh, I need that stem. Its advertised as being soft on the knees! My Pinarello home brand stem, the two binder bolts on the rearward side of the stem cause absolute carnage to the inside of my knees when sprinting, and apparently other long legged peeps have this problem too.

try a thomson elite?

or my favourite stem… :smiley: