[MEL] The Hour - Attempt #4

thanks nath, and all the people who counted laps, it’s great to be able to have everyone go in one lot.

and for me, a bigger gear, 73" was too small, slightly bigger and i would have been standing up to crank up speed. and i adjusted my saddle so it was dead flat, and about 40mins through, dropped off the pace cause it was pressure pointing my ass like a ninja. as soon as i got off the bike though, i felt fine.

2007: 70", 98laps + 25m, 32.69km.
2009: 81", 109 laps, 35.08km.

That wind was painful.

I plotted my split times, I have a slight fade and recovery from 39 - 46min (could have been when I almost went arse over), but it’s almost a perfect average speed for the entire hour.

Alex, I think you piked earlier than 40 min!

Thanks for the organisation Nath and also the heckling from the peanut gallery, keen for another go soon.

blakey, you were riding as if being pursued by the <a href=“http://www.kevinlingerfelt.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/vengabus.jpg”>venga bus</a>

Now that’s just cruel. For the rest of the afternoon the vengabus will be coming and everybody will be jumping. (From New York to San Francisco, an intercity disco…) Kill me now.

Holy shit Blakey, great effort

Wind was nuts. Was dropping from 40-41km down to 36-37km then back up again each lap. Still in a world of pain. An hour of one lap ‘efforts’.

How far did you go? Did you beat your last record

Thanks, but I’ve got a long way to go before I can touch Tristan’s 120 lap (38.6km) effort. (IIRC: Better than last time, which was 120 laps with a false start, no wind and slightly over an hour.)

I credit my distance to swapping bikes every half lap and the pink wiggle’s cheering.

Maybe I’ll have another go when you have a crack Damoh. (And try to beat Henri Desgrange)

I think Damoh’s only entering UCI events these days.

Over geared for the wind (92.6). I was just able to keep above the required 90rpm for the first ~15min, then it became a survival game pushing into the increasing wind. Same distance as last time. Better result considering the weather. Autumn will hopefully provide some stiller conditions.

The 4hr mtb ride the following day felt like the last 4 hours of the 24: not quite with it.

36, fine :wink: Plenty of people piked earlier than that - there were ten confirmed but only seven on the track at the start, remember? I was more concerned with keeping up with the others than riding at my own pace, with predictable consequences. At that stage I had sweat in my eyes and was starting to wig out a bit - and I decided the remaining riders didn’t need someone in that state to deal with. I had seen one near-miss ahead of me and thought that was close enough. Next time. Hmm was there psilocybin in the onions at the MDMA BBQ? Maybe I wuz nobbled … </excuses>

Really? Goes to show how time flies, it felt like you stopped at 20min, and McKenny ~40.

Just like last time, the middle 50min is all a blur.

whens the next hour? im new to the track/fixie scene and think id be able to punch out a few laps

I’d be interested in a practice session to reduce the chance of disgracing myself again …
I guess you’d have to work around the BSC training schedule, next wednesday after the wednesday night fix for example. Or you could go for a ride for an hour? :?

just back from carnegie velodrome. i miss my dropbars :cry:

Hey Rolly, looking for another FOA event? BBQ & The Hour attempt?

Nice thread-dig. I’m in.

I am interested in this event and wish to sign up for your newsletter.

Also in.

Man I remember the first one of this- an hour of pain!