[MELB] Another Police Crackdown

Also along StKilda Road. Felt like setting up ‘Free Hugs for Cyclists’ stand next to them.

Delete :slight_smile:

where on st kilda rd?

i was a very safe rider this morning, it was quite interesting to adjust my riding to a different style.

i even warned this girl who i watched blow 2 sets of lights on st kilda rd about it. luckily she was grateful rather than yelling at me.

I think the funny thing about this is that if you lost your car licence it would only mean you would ride your bike more…

Like most things in business and government, these crackdowns are more about driving perception than anything else. Saw plenty of cops in Docklands this morning looking bored and not really doing anything.

yeah true, i’ve never been so unfazed about losing my car licence before. after living in perth for the last 20 odd years you forget that it’s not that necessary really. that said the fines are crazy expensive.

i love melbourne :slight_smile:

I got a fine for running a red last year – $220 then. But I didn’t lose any points on my driver’s license.

I was a bit pissed because it was running one of the pedestrian crossing red lights on Royal Pde next to Melb Uni – it is not even an intersection. I actually stopped for the pedestrians, then went through when it was clear. Got chased down by the bicycle cops. They were on Kona MTBs and I was on my roadie – I really really wanted to race them, but thought the better of it.

In any case the fine worked as a good deterrent – haven’t run a red in over a year!

i hate those pedestrian crossings!! i go through them every morning and the amount of times people press the button before realising it’s clear and cross anyway. then you have to sit and wait for absolutely nobody! :x
i’ve seen plenty of cops hangin out there though i’ve learnt that it’s best to stop. if i get a green through them it’s so much quicker into work each morning…

R

Remember… a minute makes little difference in the scheme of things. Just enjoy the extra minute or two on your bike. :mrgreen:

yes, and as someone said in another thread, why give up a great opportunity to pop a track stand :smiley:

same thing happened to me, but I was near a shopping centre in the dreaded zone 2

I NJS-walked* the last couple of blocks up Swanston to the office this morning. I think I passed a couple of people I was previously riding behind

*to the extent that one can with a dueter and mtb shoes

these things piss me off so much on st kilda rd. if there’s no pedestrians i jut hit it. not before looking for cops but

code 2228 ‘riding improperly’ WTF is their deffinition of riding properly?

You love cops.

http://media.theage.com.au/national/national-news/cyclists-face-876-in-fines-906742.html?&exc_from=strap

Cyclists face $876 in fines (01:40)
A new police crackdown has cyclists in its spotlight. 24/11/09

i am all for enforcing wearing a helmet…a few people i ride with have had nasty falls (mostly involving cars)and helmets were the difference…but as for running reds sometimes it is safer for a cyclist to run a red, espcially pedestrian lights, because it means cars actually see you and are aware that you are also using the road.

This is a load of shit, same deal with the reasoning for ‘bike boxes’ at intersections. You don’t need to be seen by cars if you just wait behind them.

I’m sick of riding in groups here and people constantly swarm cars at lights that have just passed us, both lanes too. It just makes motorists more and more frustrated because they get stuck behind and have to pass a bunch of hipsters ten times. There’s nothing wrong with just waiting behind the traffic.

+1
sometimes I like to get off my bike and get in the back seat of their car and really get behind them. freaks the hell out of them.

i had a bloke pull me up yesterday on a pina prince, and mentioned that he just got pulled over for riding in the middle of the tram tracks and warned of a 300 buck fine,even though he was just passing a taxi.How the hell do you go past a taxi with his door wide open with a couple of the drivers chattin with each other without going into the middle of the tracks.swanston street is just a shit fight.

Yeah I’ve never understood those. What’s the point of allocating a spot where a slow vehicle can push in front and block everyone else? Let’s face it, even if you’re a 45 km/h time trialist, you’re a slow vehicle.