[MGG] Melbourne Gravel Grinders #4 - Winds of Pain

well, now that i have a much more appropriate bike (for everything), i’ll try and get out to this.

I’ll do it on the roadie before the Cx bike, Ohhh man I don’t trust that thing.

I pulled into sealy’s one weekend on the roadie, and my mate Andy is like ‘dude, you’ve been riding this offroad haven’t you? We built you a Cx bike ffs!’

Anyone riding out from Fitzroy/Collingwood?

I’ll be leaving from East Brunswick. Thinking of rolling along capital trail to Kensington, south on the bike path to Docklands, over the Maribyrnong and then south on the bike paths along the coast. . .

wanna ride together. im in brunswick. my number is 0428277112 campbell

That’s the standard route for weekend warriors rolling down to Williamstown for coffee. Bike lanes most of the way and pleeenty of other bikes around so it’s nice and safe. In fact, that’s probably the way I’ll take. Except jump on The Strand when you’re approaching Willy, it’s nicer.

Also, SUNSCREEN! A lot of the course is exposed to the sun and it’s looking like a pearler of a day tomorrow so lather up!

Last minute info:
Food: There is a general store at the first checkpoint, and the second checkpoint (turnaround point), the 3rd checkpoint is the same as the first but will probably be shut unless you are seriously hoofing it.

Water: The 1st point will fill bottles if you ask nicely and buy something, the second has a tap outside it and there’s toilets across the road with taps too

Trains: The 745am from Flinders St will get you to Williamstown in time, changing at Newport.

Definitely pack sunscreen, water and some snacks.

See you tomorrow bright at early. 830am rego, 9am rollout!

Great day! Pretty hard on the way out over the corrugations into a decent headwind. However it made the way home a sinch…

Many thanks once again to Blakey and Angry for giving their time to run these. Always a great day out. I really look forward to them.

I 2nd that. Hard on way out, fun on way back, well till we hit proper roads again - I had in my mind that the ‘town’ part was only 5-7kms when it was actually 20kms.

Thanks for organising hard -but social rides and all on your own time.

Pink Surly smashed it!

My bones are still shaking!

Once again thanks everyone for the time and effort scouting out and everything that goes with these, it makes the daily “grind” easier when you have events like these to look forward to.

the weather was perfect, i can only imagine what this could have been like with a bit of rain and the random wind changes and gusts you can get out there. on reflection it could have been hell,

It made my weekend, and yeah Reuben; pink tassels was indeed flying but you would have not been too far back sans the punchers

also good to meet a few people as well, these events seem to bring out nice people.

photos
Melbourne Gravel Grinders #4 - Williamstown - Toolern Vale return - a set on Flickr

All I kept thinking of when we finished was “where was Horatio?”

I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet you, Snail. What were you riding? I was on the Apollo frankenbike beater.

early casualty due to chest windburn…

Really? Nice to know everyone was thinking of me.

Let’s just say MTBing is a stupid sport.

The “Creepy cults and compounds complete with keeps” photo, that’s just off the Western HWY yeah? That place has been under various forms construction for 20 years. Still not finished by the look of it.

there’s two of them.

the one in the photo is a way off the fwy down mt cottrell road, b/w melton-keilor rd and the fwy

the other one is city side of the werribee turnoff, on the left, inbound.

Yep, I thinking of the other one.

Report up :

Melbourne Gravel Grinders: MGG #4 Report

Thanks everyone who turned up. Back to the hills next time!