My First Fixie... pretty heavy...

messing with the ratio of gear helps aswell… i started with 52/15 and to hard droped to 42/15 6mths later and smoth as aslo try skiding on somw dirt helps give you the feel.good luck

if this is your first fixie, and you dont want to crash, i would not go riding in any wind conditions for you will be pwnd. in any case i dont think u need breaks because u fell anyway, its called ride responsibly or htfu
sorry but thats what i think

Very nice bike. Love the seat post - very different haha. IMO a crash or two helps you learn better, and quicker. I remember the first time i stacked on my fixie - was right outside an outdoor velodrome infront of a crowd. Needless to say that the shame and embarassment hurt more than the bruises haha.

I reckon take the back brake off - a front brake is enough and will force you to back pedal :slight_smile:

Worst advice ever (except for the wind bit, that’s probably true). My advice is, don’t take bike safety advice from someone who can’t spell BRAKES!

… but it is ok because if the rear wheel assplodes you get to keep your teeth?

Insert obvious grant hackett photo:

good lord that is a buttload to spend on your first fixed. imagine if you found you didnt like it.

Good on you for your honesty. I’d hazard a guess that people who pay you out for saying stuff like that are afraid that they’ll be shown to be exactly the same but unwilling to admit it. It’s the excetion to see a bike on here built for function rather than form, and thats cool… it’s what fixties have been about for a few years, I guess.

I bet your wheels sound good when theyre chopping through a bit of crosswind :slight_smile:

and allow you to update your myspace top8

Feather for a rear wheel and an anchor for a front.

Very nice first bike, good selection of parts that even a lot of riders here on their 2nd or 3rd bike would still be proud of. I am well jealous.

sweet bike dude but i wouldn’t leave it anywhere its just screams nick me

or you can, just have 10,000 bike locks on it.

yr so retro and dreamy

If that aero spoke doesn’t have a braking surface, does that mean his grinding carbon? Don’t imagine the wheel will last long if thats the case… OR there is an alloy braking surface under the paint?

I’d be hoping and praying the latter is the case.

all arrospok have break surface

4 pages already.
Like your bike or not, it has caused a commentary sensation (and much bad spelling):slight_smile:
2 brakes, it’s your bike and your choice.
Spinergy, listen for creaking noises.
Arospoke - skinny jeans for bikes.
All up, good effort. Enjoy your ride.

arrospok = velocity rim with composite spokes moulded to it.

Ah, fair enough - thanks Blakey.

Thanks for the comments guys… for now im going to stick with the 2 brakes. My arm is still hurting pretty bad and i havnt ride the bike ever since the fall. As i said im still new to this fixie bike scene, what i wanted from the bike was to have good branded parts… i realise now that my bike is pretty heavy because of some of the parts ive put on it and probably not your average looking fixie kind of bike. But overall im happy with the bike since ive achieved the look i wanted out of a fixie bike. if i could get my hands on a very light and strong carbon fat spoke wheels… i will definitly try to get my hands on them to replace the Aerospoke and Spinergy. Unfortunately the Aerospoke is an anchor of a wheel and for now im stuck with it… To be honest i have never riden a proper fixie bike from a shop, like those MASI brand fixies, so i really dont know how light or how practical or how comfortable a fixie should be… sooo since ive already put all the parts together, ill just have to start getting use to my own fixie bike =)

Does anyone know where i can get a nice carbon fat spoke wheels for fixies? shop in sydney or websites that ships to Aus?

How heavy is the aerospoke? I weighed my B43s with tube and a rubino pro, and that came in at 1.8kgs. Is an aerospoke more?

Unless you’ve got some serious coin to spend, don’t bother with carbon wheels on a fixie. Good carbon wheels are ridiculously expensive and mostly totally impractical for a street fixed gear. One miss-timed bunny-hop and there goes your $2000+ investment. “Cheap” carbon composite wheels are crap, heavy AND totally impractical for a street fixed gear. If you want a really NICE set of wheels go and speak to Dan at Shifterbikes (above knog on Chapel st).