My Fixie Build Thread

hey papa

eno hub is great but for a build like this i wonder whether its worth it.

imo (and i’ve done this with no problems):

1. get a half link chain ($20)

2. you might get lucky with your gearing combo and the chain tension will be fine with whatever you’re running.

3. if not, go to a magic gear ratio calculator site measure your seat stays type it in and it will give you a bunch of options for gears that will work for whatever ratio you want.

4. if necessary, file a bit of the dropout to get slight rear axle movement.

this will solve you chain tension issue (the chain might stretch eventually in which case you either a) buy a new one; or, b) only fit one half link to a regular chain. btw i have never replaced the halflink on my bike and its still fine.

to fix you rear hub spacing issues use axle spacers to get the right chainline. easy.

if none of these worked i would sell the frame and buy one with horizontal dropouts or track ends before getting an eno hub.

you know it makes sense :wink:

ps: i wish i had chameleon wheels

stem arrived today…and installed it…also chopped some old mtb handlebars i had in the garage

You should raise that stem a touch, it’s generally recommended not to have the ‘lip’ of the stem touching the headset.

+1, I ran it touching and had a massive gouge in my stem. Don’t know how, but eh.

How many more parts are you going to colour-coordinate before you realise that getting usable chain tension on that frame will be more hassle that it’s worth?

maybe you can get the dropouts welded up and recut horizontally…

small update

added shimano 105 front brake.
guiddons phillipe (i think thats how you spell it) drops
added michellin dynamic tyres

This will likely be the defining post itt

finished

cranks are shimano ultegra
its 53:16 for now waiting on some chainrings so i can play around with it

53:16? Lets hope you don’t encounter any hills!

really is a track bike now xD

How’s the chain-tension going papa?

and that invisible bar tape?

yeh good…just changed my cahinring today to 44…chain has perfect tension…dont know what the fuss is about vertical dropouts

here is the bike as it is now…with 44/16 gearing, bar tape, and a ritchey front wheel

I reckon its come up good.
Nice job.

Needs foot retention, etc.