My new "Hillman"

McBain often gets thrown around when there is no obvious frame builder. It doesn’t bear any resemblance to the McBains I’ve seen (which isn’t many), especially the open stays. Whatever it is, you have a gorgeous bike there.

HMC - Is your Hillman not a Hillman?

Edit: Happy 1000th post.

Who’s up for us all to identify our frames as Spirito’s. It’s got a nice ring to it and for all he has given he really does deserve is own frame. :slight_smile:

i’m pretty sure spirito would only want to have his name on the best of the best, and my frame ain’t in that category, as much as i love her.

why did you bold the text in your quote? is that coz you agree or don’t agree??

maybe its a WA builder seeing as it came from WA?..

possible i suppose jase.

i’ve emailed the seller asking if he has any extra info for me but not holding my breath for a reply. he seemed to get quite irritated when i even emailed him through offers for the frame!! was very anti email.

i don’t really know of any WA builders…

Nah my Hillman is a poseur. origin unknown. Potential paconi. All bastard.

still a very classy bastard.

Nice bike rolly…

I know its nice to know who built your frame if you can, but in this case I think its going to be impossible to find out for sure, because there are definitive identifying marks.

Try and just love Millie for who she is now, rather than trying to uncover her past :wink:

thanks ben

i’m starting to come around to that idea to be honest, it’d be nice to know, but at the same time i’d rather be riding her than trawling though the internet looking for who built her! my eyes were hurting after doing exactly that for about 4 hours the other night. so many dead ends!!

and, as you said, maybe uncovering her past is a bad idea… :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers

I agree. I like to think my lady has a secret past, which she won’t reveal to me.

hahaha.

i was also kinda thinking it’s like the rule “never ask your girlfriend too many questions about her ex”
sometimes there’s just things you don’t wanna know!!

caution - some blatant self promotion ahead…

sasha has posted my “Hillman” on her page/blog along with some more of her restoration work (scroll down a little). i like checking out what she’s been up to as it’s usually pretty varied.

check it out here

http://ponybikes.wordpress.com/

so, as some of you will no doubt be fully aware, i have very little idea as to what my frame actually is (cue jokes about it being a mcbain).

however, i just found this:

it looks very, very similar to my frame (mainly at the flat seat stays and the open ended tubing near the rear dropouts)

anyone know anything about “orlando” frames? i couldn’t find anything about them.

or is this just another example of this framebuilder selling without decals, and people putting on their own?

any info is appreciated :slight_smile:

hahaha i knew there’d be at least one!!

i thought it’d be sweet (if mine is an orlando) to get some custom “rolando” decals made…

Check out the pics of my late unidentified frame. 531 tubing, same lugs, fork crown, Gipiemme drop outs and ends, flat shoulders etc. Mine came from Tas so was most likely a McBain (but not certain). The three holes on the BB shell are the most unique part. Does yours have those?
Sorry, I’m not really helping to identify but it’s interesting anyway.

Also, if you see someone riding that bike - tell the police, or me.

yeah, very similar indeed…

anyone got a contact for mcbain? maybe i should email them… P!N20?

also, i take it you mean call the police if we see your red bike, as opposed to the yellow one i posted?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Your frame looks to have nicer lug work, I know that’s not a conclusion either way, but some of the details aren’t consistent. Look at the tapered ends of the chain/seat stays on the Orlando, yours doesn’t appear to have that (admittedly hard to see properly on the images provided.)

yeah, hard to tell without any close ups, might be able to get a few organised on the weekend…

Yeah the red one, unless you want to report the guy on the Orlando for riding brakeless?