New Buyer's Guide.

Fixie Track Bikes

The $299 one

There are Hasa’s on eBay or try cyclingdeal.com.au

HASA 2011 Fixie Bike

Ok - never saw that thread. So omit that statement. Fuck, so I don’t know everything after all! LOL. :smiley:

What I do know, from experience, is that wheels, chainrings & sprockets are often the components that often let down off-the-shelf bikes and thats why everyone’s banging on about it. Generally speaking wheels with deep profile rims and high flange hubs will be heavier but more durable and should give you less grief with broken spokes (provided that they have been well built). Most fixies have them these days so that doesn’t seem to be so much of an issue anymore.

Its worth noting that from my experience some of the more pricey bikes still have pretty shitty parts, so that why its good to check the the parts list over. Surly components are quality BTW.

thanks for all the comments, you’ve all been extremely helpful :smiley:

in pursuing the idea of buying the surly frame for now, i was wondering if anyone could suggest a couple of well known brands that have cheapish good quality cranks?

i have a similar set of these , i haven’t had any issues with them !! they are reasonably priced

TRACK FIXED GEAR SUGINO MESSENGER CRANK SET 165mm BLACK | eBay

Maybe you should just look at buying a steamroller complete, and then swapping out parts as you see fit. Much cheaper than building a bike from scratch. Add up the cost of ALL the parts you will need.

id suggest what dice ^^ said above

here is a link for a complete bike

Surly Steamroller ‘Fixie’ Road Bike

maybe just hold out and save that extra money !!

well, after deliberation with the parentals (this was a 21st bday prezzie, hence the stricter price range), we went with the maurice. i took it for a test ride along with the trek at the bike shop and it felt a little nicer to ride. i don’t know whether it was just the extra rise on the riser bars that the trek had, but i liked the maurice more. plus i found the double top tube of the trek was slightly rubbing against the my inner thighs while pedalling, which was a bit annoying. so i got it in black which has blue stickers/decals/whatever the term is called for bikes haha. it was either that or the gold, which i didn’t really like. probably gonna swap the wheels that will come with the bike with the white deep v’s i bought a little while ago for my current bike and see how it suits… get either drops or bullhorns for it (can’t decide what to go with, either way i don’t think i would like the riser bars for longer rides), lose the rear brake and chain guard and change the chainring/rear cog.

so yeah. thought i’d fill you all in, i know you were all dying to know what i went with :stuck_out_tongue:

hey i dno where to post this but was wondering anyone here famililiar with gear ratio 47/17? if so is it easy to skid and how is it like
thanks

it’s a lot like 46/17 and 48/17, sort of in between those two.
but srsly, it’s a good gear. most here would recommend 46/17 as a good all round gear.
it’s the gear i ride in and plenty others here too.

Skidding is a lot about technique, getting forward on the bike and unweighting your back wheel. Having said that its much easier with less gear inches. I would suggest that 47/17 is about as tough a gear as you want on the road (esp if there’s hills where you are). I would recommend 47/18 - doesn’t seem like much but my knees can tell the difference (68.6 gear inches instead of 72.7)

check these out for future ref:
Rabbit, a singlespeed and fixed-gear cycling calculator
Sheldon Brown’s Bicycle Gear Calculator

And next time post this as a thread in “help” - you’ll get more of a response.

no actually, if you post this q in the help section it will get closed and you’ll be told to DAFFSFFS, like this thread asking the exact same q the other day did.

this is the correct thread and the q has been answered.

true.

recently moved to aus and am straight away looking for a cheapish ($400) bike for commuting. Where would be the best place to look?

depending on what you want… Bike Exchange Australia - Buy & Sell Bikes

or ebay/gumtree

Maybe you should track just track back 5 pages on this thread and READ!

Ooooh, snap!

Or just got to cellbikes.com.au

You’ll be happy to know I did, however I’ve been in the country just over two weeks, I had no idea Gumtree or cellbikes existed until the previous posts.

Found a bike in my pricerange on ebay, yay or gtfo?

AMAZING – Fixie Single speed Vintage bike as NEW!!! (eBay item 270735219636 end time 20-Apr-11 20:00:17 AEST) : Sport

GTFO, aside from the fact it’s fi’n ugly and has lax geometry(clunker frame) its packin those stars /quando rims. Do a forum search on them and you’ll see what I mean.Way over priced IMO

So avoid it and fork out a bit extra for the Cell Mallet-2?

I’m really just after something cheap that I can use to commute with. With the option of upgrading piece by piece if I see fit.