New Sturmey Archer 3-speed fixed hub (ASC replacement)

Aye, I’ve been thinking about the Nexus and even the new spendy Alfine 11, but I love riding fixed and creaming it past lycra-ed up roadies on the ups while i’m in jeans and a t-shirt on my way to work…

I’m just not sure about the gear range on the SA hub - whether the spread makes it worthwhile, or whether I would be better off with a normal geared hub

Next time you’re “creaming it past lycra-ed up roadies on the ups while i’m in jeans and a t-shirt” why not think about the site’s search function.

Erm Hamish, you just posted a link to this thread.

;-D

Sorry I was too caught up by "creaming it past lycra-ed up roadies on the ups "
I was also trying to be helpful- it’s the sort of guy I am- you know the caring sort- who stops to rescue a quail from the middle of a busy road.

I did try the search function, which led me to this thread… There were a few threads about these hubs but I didn’t think people would appreciate me asking the same question in each and every one of them, so I chose this one and asked a relevant question in it

Hamish, was there a better thread that I should have used? Or were you just being a nob because I have a low postcount?

Oh.

I’ll be a knob: Sydney hills aren’t a problem with glass of cement and a HTFU sandwich. No, really. You get used to it, your legs get stronger, your fitness gets better, you’ll be fine.

No, I was being a ‘nob’ because of your stupid comment.

“… but I love riding fixed and creaming it past lycra-ed up roadies on the ups while i’m in jeans and a t-shirt on my way to work…”

//youtu.be/uCOPuGBg_W0

Where have all good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where’s the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?

Isn’t there a white knight upon a fierrry steeeeeed?
Late at night I toss and I turn and dream of what I neeeeeeeeed

I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Laaargerrrrr thannn liiiiifffe…

:rolleyes:

CC, that was beautiful.

Very good… I will rephrase then. One of the things I like best about riding fixed is the speed that I can carry while riding up hills, which often allows me to pass people on geared road bikes…

I’d like the option of more gears to help with the spinning on the downhills but would like to keep riding fixed if possible.

Does anyone in Sydney have a bike with an S3X hub that I could try out?