Newbie MTB questions

Get this:

21" Voodoo Bizango XT everything | eBay

2012 XT 2x10. XT UST wheels. Fox floats. Thomson/Easton cockpit. Bargain!

*But whatever you do swap out that seatpost immediately. I can 100% guarantee you that its too short to be inserted 80-100mm into the frame and the single bolt design is asking for trouble on a MTB. Nice post on the road, shocker off-road

Good find dice, assuming the op is tall!

Actually the frame would be slightly too big. He’d ride a 19". That said. I reckon it’d be worth buying and flipping the frame. 19" steel frames are cheap and easy to find.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

I am now thinking il probably be getting a hard tail.

Question about hard tail: I’m finding the majority of ht’s I’m looking at have a very Slanted top tube which makes it look more like a dirt jumper and uncomfortable for XC, I get that you could adjust the seat post - I’m hoping that’s not the only solution. Some less extreme geo would be good.

As for the Reynolds, sounds like a great deal but I don’t have that kinda money yet, this will be a tax money buy, just thought I’d start researching now because I’m damn excited.

As for size I’m 6" - or I could be 5’11 - am I just converting the inches to cm’s and that’s it? Why isn’t It the same as my fixay?

On a different note - still have a voice in my head saying ‘why not just get a giant anthem second hand’ I get the learning experience will be differently, but as parts go are they shitty to match up to the price tag or not?

Fixed MTB video: thought it was funny because I don’t know why he included all his falls!

Larrys custom is doing a run out on Singular frame /fork combos atm -$200 off RRP, build one up and upgrade when you break stuff/can afford.

Sloping TT are great (just don’t look it) your luv spuds will thank you for the extra stand over.

Giant mtbs= best bang for buck brand in Aus by a long way, but they are just every second bike on the trail, which isn’t such a bad thing, Maestro works a treat.

Add approx 4cm to your effective TT measurement for MTB. Fixay sizing is road sizing, MTB is longer as the reach is shorter with flat bars as opposed to drops.

The sloping TT also allows for more seat tube flex (especially with 27.2 seatposts - most steel frames and some older Alu).

here’s a goodie (Large size) for someone looking to get into MTB:

Charge Duster

I know the owner and he is as nice and friendly as they come. Pretty sure the bike is in decent mechanical condition.

Didn’t want to make a new thread, i guess this fits in here, besides my xc hardtail i want to get an AM MTB,
im thinking one of these, they are the same price, but just have different brand components,
rockshock vs fox, sram vs slx etc
Giant Bicycles | Australia
what would be the better option, if anyones had experience with these brands… im leaning towards fox/slx option

thanks in advance.
cam

Hey Cam, looks like the link doesn’t include the choices you made on the website.

Might be easier to take a screen shot of the comparison chart…?

still worked my end, but good idea,
heres the bikes below.

^ Both are good bikes for the coin but I’d definitely go the the 1, I’m running SRAM on all my mtbs so I favour that but the SRAM stuff on the 2 is pretty low rent and the SLX stuff is pretty good now.

Better tyres, chain guide, better rear shock, lighter rims etc on the 1 and considering it’s available for the RRP of the 2, I think it’s a no brainer.

Before you leave the shop make sure you’re happy with the set-up stem wise as Giant run a different (1 1/4" steerer tube) standard so atm after market stems (ie shorter) are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Go for the 1 cam, the elixr 1’s are the worst brakes in the world. and besides the slx is pretty awesome! the brakes are pretty much xt level for half the price

My brother has the Reign 1. Its a fantastic bike - you won’t be able to find a better bike for the price. The SLX gear is great - it comes with the newer clutched RD which is awesome. Fox fork TALAS fork feels super plush… and it comes with a dropper post, wide bars and chain guide, and decent wheels which could easily be converted to tubeless with a Stans kit too.

My only slight niggle with it is that the throw on the SLX front shifter is too great (but if it really pisses you off thats a $50 upgrade to a XT shifter). Re Giant’s bullshit “Overdrive 2” tapered steerer standard, it does limit your fork, stem, and headset options significantly, but that’s only really a problem if you suffer from upgradeitis. That said if you want to run a shorter stem you could easily get a 50mm x 1.5" and shim it down to 1.25". I have also heard that you can use Specialized stem as it is by removing their asymetrical shim designed for 1 1/8" (1.125").

One more thing they fit on the larger size so make sure to sit on one before you pull the pin (I’m 170cm and a medium felt too big for me).

Thanks for all the great feed back guys, my only concern is the smaller steering tube, as i like to be able to upgrade or just change things up without too much difficulty, hopefully the 2014 models may have a standard stem by the time I’m ready to get one.
i’ll keep that in mind about the sizing, my avanti is a medium frame, id hate to blow 3k and then realise its just too big.

I think the upgradeitis has kicked in with my avanti, only thing that will be left original on that will be the frame, headset and seat post.

Camo, I seriously doubt that Giant’s gonna backflip on their “improved” steerer tube dia. 2014 is pretty much assured to have an OD2 steerer. But to be honest the Reign 1 is pretty much a ‘plug n play’ type bike - by that I mean there’s bugger all you’d want or need to swap out. It’s a far better spec’d bike than your Avanti, for instance. If your so worried about the steerer dia I’d look at getting a Spesh Stumpjumper Fsr Evo Comp. but that’s $400 -800 more than what you can get a reign 1 for. To be honest I’d keep my eyes peeled for a reign on sale and not loose too much sleep over a steerer tube that requires an oversize stem. There’s plenty of 1.5" stems available. I’m sure I can find a suitable shim in a matter of minutes by searching online.

solid advice there, thanks for that, hopefully by christmas they will have 2013 models on sale… I’m sure after my first ride i wont even be thinking of upgrading it! My avanti will keep me occupied until then, got some better forks lined up, and some hydraulic brakes which will makes things easier.

Still keep an eye on the sales though,
Pretty sure giant aus sold through all their stock of reigns last year…
Don’t quote me on that though!

Off topic I followed you on ig and rolly too!

i plan to keep my eyes peeled,
what ig account :stuck_out_tongue: i think my current one is my 5th kept on getting flagged haha
whats your user name?

Yeah I saw that in another thread haha, ah mine is bonder_