#newbikeday

I don’t think I could go to a low end frame. And I’m sure I’d notice the difference pretty quickly

To be fair, that is a chinese frame that’s quite old now and it seems that chinese production techniques have come a long way in the last few years.

Why is this even a thread

#cause

#becauseroadie
I think it’s a great thread, building a nice roadie on a budget.

I just checked out the dengfu website for the first time.
Quality pics.

That in no way is meant to be a comment about their frames, just to be clear

It may come as surprise to some forum members to learn that pretty much all carbon frames are made in China these days no matter what the manufacturer claims.

I think it’s funny when people try and justify different brands etc. based on the country of origin etc. and claim to see such huge differences in something that they thought was hand crafted by some Italian artisan when in fact it was made in the same factory, by the same guy who made bikes for K-Mart the day earlier.

Really?

I thought Taiwan dominated the mid-range to high end aluminium/tig steel and carbon market?

and china does the cheaper alu/steel

I hear this all time and think it’s mildly, but not completely, untrue. Just because two items for two brands were made on the same factory floor, it does not mean they will be made to the same quality in regards to materials, processes, labour or Quality Control. The contracting companies may set the producer vastly different standards and budgets for the goods.

This is patly true,
The major difference is that the larger manufactures put more money into development, quality control, materials and warranty.
This is why there products cost more.

The thing is carbon is moving very quickly at the moment and a lot of people think carbon is all the same.
This is as true as a nice columbus slx frame is the same as gaspipe.

There is a huge difference between the two but i still believe there is a place for them in the market place.

Theres plenty of people happy with them, The same goes with wheels i know one of the strongest sprinters this country has ever produced and he has a set of chinese carbon clinchers and is happy with them and he can hit 2000watts.

Yeah mike d is right taiwan is now the best carbon they also are set up the best, The main reason other countries dont do more is ohas, carbon is a terrible product.

well said. i was just gonna say ‘you’re an idiot’, but you have more patience than me clearly.

Working in a bicycle shop and being a bicycle importer is a very different thing, most bicycle shop workers/owners know very little about the products they are selling and would be surprised if they actually knew more about the origin of the bikes and how/where they were made.

The only difference between most carbon bikes is that the bigger brands have paid a fee to have a frame design that nobody else can use and the smaller brands use standard carbon designs from a catalogue.

I think that it’s ridiculous to think that the workers in the factories are instructed to do a better job because it’s a Cannondale or whatever or that the manufacturers of more stablished brands request that the quality of their bikes is to a higher standard because the consumer is paying more money for it.

The whole concept of requesting that the factory do a better job or use better materials/processes/quality control (for carbon frames) to ensure one frame is better than another frame is a marketing strategy that most major brands would like people to believe although the reality is that the factories have set standards and processes that cannot/would not be changed at the request of the customer (bike brand).

Many well known manufacturers have been very quick to use China as a cheap place of production but not so quick to drop the price for the wholesaler/consumer or advertise where the bikes were actually made in a specific effort to make people think that the bike they have paid good money for was made in some specific facility in Europe.

Sorry for being an idiot.

This is how a lot of large scale manufacturing works.

There is a sliding scale of quality v price.

You specify the price point you want the item to be, and it is made with quality and materials to meet that price point.

That’s what I meant but probably didn’t put clearly.
It’s not like a company will request a product to be made poorly because they are a low-end brand, but that the amount they’re willing to pay only allows a certain level of quality.
For example, Kumo can do a far better job if he’s paid for 80 hours of building rather than 10.

I think there may be a bit of a difference between bicycle manufacturing from Kumo Cycles and mass production from a factory in China.

You’re missing the point.
Two products being made in the same factory in no way indicates that they will be made to the same specifications. There are many other more deciding factors such as cost.
/argument

Just read this:

Are All Carbon Bikes Created Equal? | Cycling Tips

This^^

If this wasn’t the case then you could argue that a Pinarello Dogma was the same as one of those cycling express jobbies that you can get for 2k with di2. Is that what is being argued here?