Newcastle Overnight, 2014 edition

I’m out. Actually officially moving in to my ‘pseudo hills district’ house this weekend. :frowning: Would have been super rad. Plus i’m fat as/slow at the moment. Give me 2 months and I’d be in with Hazza #fixedgearnobrakesrizorz urrywhere.

Alright kids, only a few days til this. I’m getting excited.

Full post of important details just went up on the site: newcastleovernight | Second Annual ride: Saturday 16th November, 9pm
Pre Dinner is a go for all you hungry types. I’m pretty sure the guy who won tour divide last year just rsvp’d.
Just went and picked up 200 brownies and 200 flapjacks for handing out en-route.
Some kindly FOA folk have vol’d to help with sign in on the night.
Got some 203 mm rotors on the tandem (how far we have all come from our fixie brakeless days…)
Weather looks a touch grim, but you know, toughen up !

Getting pumped for this.

Fuck yeah so pumped.
Big saddle bag is on the primate, carb-heavy dinner is planned for tonight.
We’ve gotta suss out where to get beers on a Sunday morning in Newcastle. Surely can’t be too hard.

Just had a thought: if everyone who’s doing this wants to pm me their phone number I’ll compile them all and send them round in a message. If you want.

Bon courage boys - ride safe :wink:

I’m really wishing I had fenders on my salsa now. Shut up Jono.

Going to be moist by the looks of things - go go rain jacket and arm warmers…

Moist but warmish. Not getting below about 14 I think. And a tailwind the whole way too.
Was just pudding down out here, but all cleared up now. Fingers crossed,cos my rain jacket makes me too warm…
And Alex. You know what’s right, yet you chose the wrong path.

Waiting for the reports…

Me too. Was driving home from Dunc last night & it was pissing down.

Hope everyone on the Newcastle ride is OK. Certainly looked like it would have been a long & wet night, quite a tough challenge. I’m sure the hot showers and coffee at the end would have seemed like the best thing in the world.

All done and dusted.
I met up with bob and dan at mt white and rode the rest of the way with them. I reckon the time it wasn’t raining can be counted in minutes.
Riding the OPH 3 & 4 abreast without traffic was pretty special, and the impromptu pace lines that formed as we passed other groups were pretty fun.
Ollie & co did a great job, the 2 tea breaks were outstanding and really gave me something to aim for as my strength was failing. Dan kept the pace up and me and bob hung in there the best we could, I’m actually impressed with myself for getting there in such good time.
My actual ride was 6:20 moving, 7:50 all up. Had a swim and a hot shower at the end then crashed onto the train.
Doing it again next year, but not if it rains…
Forgive my rambling, brain is fried.

Sounds sweet. Good onya!

Awesome Jono !! Get some well earned kip :wink:

It was fucking amazing! Stopping seemed like the best idea at times, but was immediately decided to be an awful idea once we had to get moving/cold again.

Well done. I was thinking about all of you out there as I went to sleep with the sound of rain ringing in my ears.

Well, that was pretty fucking good. Got rained all fucking night. Rode it with James and Mr Nat. I’ll keep it to dot points.
-The ride out of the city was horrific
-Pee stop
-Pie in the sky brief stop cause Jono wasn’t there
-Pie in the sky descent solo and fast and wet and dark (awesome)
-Mt White tea stop
-James flatted on the decent to gosford and I changed to fresh dry socks
-Lost in Gosford
-Socks got wet again
-Servo stop for Pies and Sausage rolls
-James flatted again
-Nat destroyed 1 of only 16 spokes on his front wheel. Removed front mud guard and had no front brake for the rest of the ride.
-Breif 120k tea stop
-Lost again
-Made it
-Bacon
-Newcastle baths showers we’re not hot enough
-Train
-Sleep
-Picked up from the station (soft)
-Hot shower
-Hot bath
-Sleep
-Food
-FOA

Miserable. Wet. Complained. Cold/hot. Dan thought it was a race. Didn’t pack enough dry clothes for train ride home. Complained. Knees hurt so much when I got off the train I rode home with one leg. Complained.

Will not be doing it again if it’s not clear skies and hot. And not with Dan.

Accurate. Going into the warm maccas at 1am was brilliant, but sucked when we had to leave.

Pretty happy I jumped on the Bob and Dan express, what with all the flats and getting lost. And the showers were fine for me, the trick was to only use the hot tap. Having a swim beforehand sure made them feel hotter too.

Bob didn’t complain nearly as much as he’s saying, but I’m guessing the internal monologue wasn’t pretty. Dan was smashing it out though, I think with the amount of waiting he did for us his moving time is probably about half an hour less than ours.

As an aside, my right leg is now so sore I’m struggling with stairs. Anybody ever strained a groin muscle (fnarr)? Cos that’s what it feels like.

Pretty impressed you guys did it all. Flying down that dark Gosford descent in pouring rain with a tiny blinky light is not my idea of fun.

Well done Ollie for organising. I think I’m in for next year.