Old Centurion: Found on Street

hey Anyone know anything about Centurion Bikes?

Found a discarded full bike down the road from my house.

• Centurion: Tange Tubing (couldn’t see what sort though)
  • DiaCompe Brakes
  • Sugino GS Crankset
  • and i think Suntour Derailer.

centurions used to run the whole spectrum of quality. at the top was their dave scott ironman expert was v nice, tange 1, 600, nitto bits and pieces.
it’ll be interesting to see what type of tubing it is. whatever it is, i think its a rad brand and i’d make a pub bike out of it for sure.

what JP said.

Some Centurions are very nice.

Although the name always reminds me of
“thwow him to the fwoor…vewy woughly”

yeah I’m Intending to strip it and Fix gear it.

it looks pretty rough so will probably pull it apart completely. Will take a better look tonight and upload some photos.

I did find a bit of info on them here though:

I assume they would be 27" wheels? yeah?

Centurion Turbo.
Tange Industries Champion #5 tubing,
Sugino Cranks,
Suntour derailers.
Araya 27x1" rims
DiaCompe sidepull brakes

So if i strip it and pull everything apart what is good to use to clean it?

the frame i guess just wipe down with warm water or ___?

What about all the grease and dirt on the components? Chainrings, cranks etc…
whats good to use to clean all that shit up?

Do i need a degreaser for that?

how about some Easy Off Bam household cleaner

• I guess that might work alright.

Can’t hurt to try it.

I use hot water with dishwashing liquid for basic stuff. Degreaser for the tough shit. Degreaser is great, eats right through it and then you just need to rinse it off. Just make sure you wear gloves.

I just tore down and re-built a road bike I just bough, as I took each piece off I’d wipe off excess crap with a towel, then washed each part in a bucket of warm water with dishwashing liquid in it. Worked a charm getting all the grease etc off (and so soft on my delicate hands too :-D)

-Garth

all the bits that you’ll keep from that bike look good (cranks, bar, stem, post, seat, wheels).
if you like, take the wheels to a good mechanic and get the rear axle flipped in the hub, screw off the cluster, dish the wheel and BAM! you got yourself a possibly straight chainline, probably sealed hubs, and not much spent. i like the paint colour.

and “snowflake” (i cant wait to start calling you that to your face, infront of your lady friend) where is that quaote from? man it made me laugh :slight_smile:

yeah they look ok mostly.

if you like, take the wheels to a good mechanic and get the rear axle flipped in the hub, screw off the cluster, dish the wheel and BAM!

Why do i need to get the rear Axle flipped in the hub? I don’t really get that bit.

Stwike him Centuwion, vewy woughly!

Life of Brian

Because you’ll have the spacers on opposite side then. Take the bits i.e. cone, washers… from one side off, clean re grease everything and flip to the other side. Then redish (see god) and as JP said “…BAM! you got yourself a possibly straight chainline…” on the cheap, just like the budget.

Damn,

The stem is stuck in the Fork tube.
this seems to be a common problem with old bikes.

Had the same issue with my red Apollo fixie.

Common problem with old quill stems.
Screw stem bolt back in a couple of turns, place a block of wood on top of head of stem bolt, then lightly tap the block of wood with a hammer.

I did that trick to knock the expander nut out of the quill.
I got the expander nut out completely through the bottom of the fork…

the Stem would not move.
Clamped the fork crown in a bench vise. with some soft wood around it for some protection and apply force with the handlebars.

• nothing. no movement at all
  • the wood broke and crumbled first.

decided to give up. put the expander nut back in and tighted the bastard up.

I then cleaned up the bearings and cups as much as was possible with limited acess and them still stuck on the fork.
re-greased and tightened the headset up again. It feels a little rough to turn. but it should be ok right?

Yeah I had to do the same thing with the Pug. The only real thing you have to be concerned with is indexing.

Indexing?

huh?

its mostly fixed up.

• I used some bits from a previous bike that i fucked up trying to get the Stem out.
  • I spent a whole $4 on some new bottom bracket bearings.

it was quite interesting having never built a bike up from scratch before.

Good to see someone gettin their grubby mits on! Indexing is when the bearings have worn a slight groove in the cups, usually rectified by a new headset or removal of the cups and replacing them a few degrees from their original position.

Indeed - I think there is still grease under soem of my fingernails. Bikes are bloody filthy things.

Indexing is when the bearings have worn a slight groove in the cups, usually rectified by a new headset or removal of the cups and replacing them a few degrees from their original position.

hmm - I can understand what you mean but how do you tell if they actually have worn a groove?

Also how do you remove the cups on a Headset and fork anyway? they seem to be pretty damn tight.