Opinions on Stans Crest vs Arch EX

Yeah, and pro2 evos also just got more engagement points. Kristens bike clicks faster than mine. Rear bearings needed replacing in mine after maybe 6months, but with some nicer enduros in there they will apparently be good for a long while.

Awesome, thanks team. They’re for the Minister of Finance so I’m sure I’ll get her approval to go hopes. Noise shouldn’t be a factor as she’s always whinging that her race wheels for the roadie are quieter than mine, these should be a fair whack louder than mine!

Bit of a dig and hijack: did anyone end up going with the Velocty Blunt/SLs?
My shitty SE branded wheels need replacing and Velomine have Blunts laced to XT hubs for ridiculously cheap.
New Velocity Blunt 35 29er Wheelset Black XT Hubs 6 Bolt 32h [74493] - $209.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
New Velocity Blunt SL Shimano 29er Black XT 6 Bolt Disc Wheelset [0072774640720] - $219.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

I’m around 90kg, plus bike and gear, riding cross country SS and will definitely go tubeless. Do you think these will do?
Cheers chaps and ladies

the experience of a friend with blunts leads me to say: avoid.

Oh well. Thanks. I’ll keep looking then for some Arches

Blunt SL, DT champ, XT hub. Built by me.

Solid for general commute, touring, light MTB use. Have taken quite a few good knocks from not being able to move a loaded bike about on single track and me being a hack But…

Build quility of rim was horrible, so much swarf and poorly drilled holes, join in rim was extremly out of line. paint was thin and horrible. Was very out of true and round before I started pulling spokes in. Due to non eyeletted makes me nervous putting alot of tension on as well. Now it’s starting to get on I’m expecting to see the rim cracked before I break a spoke.

Yeh, a mate said some pretty similar things. Defintely going to avoid the blunts.
Evans Cycles has a set of Hope hubs to Crest with Sapim Sprint for A$230 delivered. Not bad since wiggle has a single rear hub for about $199

Anyone got a good lead on Stan’s Arch EX locally?
Looking for 27.5"

Massive grave dig - for the second time.

Have just got hold of an El Mariachi frame to build up for bikepacking duties. Now the fun part begins, gathering all the parts for the build. Starting with rims and hubs was planning to go with Stans arch Mk3 and DT Swiss 240 hubs - have always had good service from hopes but their sound which I love on single track would get rather wearing on long firetrail descents.

Any thought on this combo, or any other options for a good, tough but decent weight wheelset ?

Industry Nines to WTB KOM’s?

I’d stick with 240s or 340s. Reliable and easy to service.

Hopes and other hubs can have better engagement (unless you upgrade the stsr ratchet) but it’s less important when not doing technical riding

Could look at stans flows? Wider and stronger than arch’s i think.

Get the DT 190s for baller sensations. Or just stick with 240

I was looking at the new hope’s too (rs4 or something) and apparently they are now quieter, but I haven’t heard them myself.

I’ve got hope evo 4 on my SS mountain bike, they’re great with super quick engagement - but loud as every other hope hub I’ve heard.

i9 would be cool. DT 350 is a good value option with star ratchet and easy end cap/freehub swaps, 240/180 only if you have a money pile you’re sick of tripping over.

Easton Arc are still (?) 1/2 price at CRC, WTB also a good option. And new DT swiss rims look good too.

Woah…awesome deal on those Eastons - they’re looking pretty likely at this stage.

How noisy are I9’s?

+1 on dt 350s and also wtb rims.
Have dt 350s to WTBs on my bouncy bike which have been flawless, heaps of knocks and no issues.

Also got wtb frequency rim built to a sp dyno which has been great, less milage than the other wheels but still very happy. WTBs seem to be consistently cheaper than stans most of the time too.

Thanks everyone - on past good experience and on recommendation from the LBS, decided to go with arch mk3’s laced to DT 240’s.