Organising a courier for a bike

go with smart send. 10 would be a safe bet if the person at other end can’t weigh themself with/without the bike to get a guesstimate.

go middle…im gonna say 12kgs!

Go smartsend. Always use them now over e-go.

E-go lost a consignment of mine last week, (and found it again within 24 hours thankfully). But they are amateurs.

Weight doesn’t matter, it’s calculated on volume for bulky items. Just put it 20kg

Used to be heaps of bike couriers on here…guess they all grew up or got proper jobs…

It’s funny isn’t it.

Often I think how so-and-so used to post here and how they grew and left… and then I wonder why I’m still here and what that means??

I was aiming for a pun play on “Help: Organising a courier for a bike”…but I’m sure you saw that

( My last attempt at a pun on FoA fell on stony ground…I’m beginning to fear I’m on the slippery slope into dad jokes )

^ Oh shit I’m senile, totally missed your awesome pun!

$115 from Adelaide to Bris door-door with $2k insurance sound reasonable?
(that’s with Smartsend. e-go is $70, no insurance. Smartsend is $90, no insurance.)

yes, always send with insurance.

Hmm this week sent a frame & some bits by e-Go depot-to-door Melb-Syd. Depot/Agent told me 2-3 working days, they delivered overnight.

will see how long from ade to bne for mine (smartsend). pickup tomorrow some time.
incidentally, they’re using TNT.

so.

smart send picked up my bike from dave on mon 23 june.
bike is delivered to me on fr 27 june.
all good. no problems.

today i get an email:

[i]Hi Shannon,
The carrier has checked this consignment and has found your declared dimensions/weight to be incorrect.

SSD000316935

Correct dimensions are:
12kg 140 x 28 x 77cm

Correct charge: $160.38
Original charge: $142.06
Difference to pay: $18.32
The total additional amount to pay for this booking is $18.32 (inclusive Fuel Levy, GST). Payment must be made within 7 days to avoid interest charges. There is also a $15 Admin Fee (as per the notification on our Booking Page); the Admin Fee will be dismissed if payment is made within 48 hours. Can you please ensure future bookings have the correct details otherwise we will need to apply the $15 Admin Fee in future.

I will send you another email shortly explaining how to pay the difference.

Chris Madden
Director
Smartsend[/i]

I kept the bike box, so i went and measured it.
funny, it measures exactly the same as when dave measured it 4 weeks ago.

i suggest that if you’re using a courier, to measure and photograph when you send or receive your item.
if i had have disposed of that bike box, i’d have to cop it sweet and stump up an additional $33, for SWEET FUCK ALL.

I won’t be using those fuckers again.

That’s shit.

after much smartassery on my part:

[i]Thanks Shannon. We’ll discuss this further with the carrier and we have waived the additional charges.

Regards,
Steven Visic
Smart Send[/i]

Hi Steven,

No, thank you!
Your apology has been graciously accepted, and your service standards have been noted.
I will tell all and sundry of my unique experience with your business.

Kind Regards,
Shannon.

you can catch my full rant over on fb
https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/345462525607018/?notif_t=group_comment

hahah nice result, gotta call them out and make it clear they have been exposed.

I used e-Go for the first time the other week to send a frame to Lemontime.

All booked online, they supplied PDF address labels, service was so good I barely even noticed it.

~$22 for overnight delivery from Melbourne to Sydney.

I’d use them again for sure. Easier and much cheaper than Auspost.

wow, that is good value.

Yeah, and that was door to door too. Even cheaper if you deliver to/from a depot.

And the box was bigger than Auspost’s maximum dimensions.

The special FOA postmark might’ve helped. I dunno.

Edit: and…it’s a great excuse to “work from home”.

I used e-Go to ship a MTB a few months ago on recommendation from a mate who uses them regularly.
Same experience as Snowflake; easy and cheap