Other Melbs CX? (i.e. not dirty deeds)

So, anyone know of any other CX events in Melbourne/VIC outside of Dirty Deeds?

I saw this:
SYCA-Cross

But any word on the Cross Melbourne races?

Cross melburn is dead.

but if you like you can ride your cycling cross bike over bmx tracks in the wind and the sand with no spectators for no money. it will be the same effect.

It’s sure gonna be tough matching DDCX’s attendance, rowdiness and vibe/mabo.

Dirty Gran Fondo in a couple of weeks??

2013 Dirty Gran Fondo - Mountain bike and Cyclocross Event Home Page

Cycling Victoria has the Vic champs listed for Sunday 22/9/13 (?same date as one of the Whittlesea club races?), and Cycling Australia has a national championship race listed for Saturday 10/8/13.

You must be looking at the draft dates, see here:

Dirty Deeds Cyclocross: Cause you’re never safe around whittlin’ man

National series details here:
https://eventdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main&EventDesqID=2647&OrgID=4912

Yep, sorry. I hadn’t noticed the dates had changed.

There’s also strong talk of a race out near geelong (on a winery) late August/early September.

Wangaratta are also talking about another race. That (i think) is supposed to be in July.

WCCX are also running a race on the Melb-Roobaix date, which i suspect will hurt lower grade attendance.

It’s great to see other clubs putting on races, supporting them is a key step to them being successful and continuing.

Okey, probs not worth buying a MTBA license then. DDCX series license it is!

it’s worth joining a club so you have license anyway and access to its knowledge, gear and lulz. I know of one inner north one in particular that is a strong supporter of cx…just sayin’

More info on Whittlesea and entry here
Geelong CX info here - (yes, there is a date clash with WCCX - I’m inclined to see how it all plays out as it won’t be the first time race dates have changed/been cancelled).

CSV CX calendar found here

CSV CX Calendar is mad. bookmarked!

I sucked it up and got a MTBA license.

I know BCC would have been good and they support DDCX, but at $290ish and no real prospect of me racing track or road it wasn’t really worth it.

I saw today that Ballarat Sebastapol Cycling Club is having a CX event this Sunday in Ballarat. Details are on their FB page.

you’d think the Ballarat kids would have checked that their race didn’t clash with another…

Their race has been scheduled for over two months, just poorly promoted.

So it has just occurred to me that every Whittlesea cx race is at the same venue, and yet there is only 1 Ballarat race. Ergo, I should go the Ballarat.

Any FOA crew catching the train out that i can tag along with? My usual cheersquad don’t love me enough to go all the way to the 'rat.

i jumped in the car sunday morning, leaving the wife in bed, and headed up to Ballarat for the CycloMania (slight detour via the parents house to wish my mum a happy birthday and gift her my loaf from friday night).

i overdressed, with my 3/4 winter bibs and undershirt on beneath my RaceCow suit…as a balmy, double-digit, 11 degrees and slight misting greeted me upon arrival. the double-digits continuing with 10 or so lining up in the CX class. a slightly smaller, but no less enthusiastic 8 in the open, and 2 kids (another three showed up later for the second round of races).

had an absolute blast sweating profusely in my getup…scored a beer handup in the first race, which was followed up by a snag in bread and another beer during the second. managed to DFL both races, but we all know it’s not about winning the race.

a couple of pics from my visit to the b’ratcx.

frog on one side of the entrance (bee on the other)

my faithful steed.

“Ballarat Sunshine”

the cx lineup at the start

and “THE GOOOOOOORRRRRRRGE!”

with another loaf of bread for my efforts

How was the course at Ballarat? I’d be keen to make the trip up there in the future but the clash with the racing at Mill Park meant I went for the closest course to home.

I thought the Mill Park course was great - a good range of terrain and not a lot of chances to get the heart rate down. I thought it was a pretty good turnout too.
There were a few sketchy places - that gate at the end of the gravel coming out of the bmx track was a bit nerve-racking until someone had the good idea to swing it the other way - the logs that rolled if you nudged them mid-hop - kids on the course etc.

Probably a few things to iron out but it should be a fun series up there. That course could get quite tricky if we have a wet winter.