Paselas vs Marathon

As I will mostly use it on the road I thought I post it here.

I need some touring tires and am unsure whether to go for Paselas or Marathons. The Paselas are lighter, look much sexier and are supposed to be running great. The Marathons are known as a great, perfect, THE touring tire since generations but weigh heaps and look like our accountant. Nothing against our accountant, he is reliable. What I want is puncture protection, I hate flats but low rolling resistance. I’m looking at the around 35mm dimensions. As I will spend most time on tarmac when touring in NZ I dont want to waste my Rock N Roads and am in need of suitable tires.

I have just about worn out my rear Pasela on my Salsa Casseroll. 2 punctures in it’s life.
They have been great rolling tyres, but I am not a fan of how dirty the gumwalls have become.
Some would call it Beausage (beauty through usage), I think it just looks grubby on an otherwise clean bike.
Would I go them again?
Probably, if I couldn’t find similar quality with a black sidewall.
35mm by the way.

I destroyed my new tg paselas on my last tour. Had 7punctures in 4 days. The last cut a 1cm neat slice.
But I have very shit luck.

Are we talking straight up Marathons, or one of the Sub Variants i.e. Plus, Supreme, Dureme, Racer, Mondial?

Marathon Supremes, 700x35, folding, expensive but don’t ride like shit and don’t get punctures, corner well, fast enough, I got ~8000kms out of the rear touring.

I’d use them again on a road tour with maybe a touch of dirt, which was what I rode in Europe and Japan.

Whatever is the one to go for.

…sounds pretty awesome what I read so far. Do you know if the come in all black or only with the reflective sidewall stripe?

Paselas get my vote. (But haven’t tried the schmancy mathathon sub-genres.)

My Marathon Racers lasted me about two weeks. Slashed rear sidewall…
Ride quality wise, they’re only slightly better than the Vittoria Randonneur lol. Can’t say I recommend.

E: Soma C-Line is another tyre to consider… seems to be an improved Pasela??

No competition for me: Paselas. I’ve had great luck with them over a long time on various bikes, mostly in 32mm. The only Marathon I’d look at for an equivalent ride would be Supremes, but I reckon these are maybe a better choice if you’re going 26" x 2". You can get Paselas with black sidewalls. Mine are all tan, but the ones on my everyday bike look pretty much black after plus plus usage.

I’ve got some Resist Nomads in 35mm to try out. They’re supposed to be rad, but we’ll see. I can only say that, in my opinion, Paselas are awesome for this job.

Have used Paselas, Marathons and Nomads a fair bit.

Marathons I found pretty meh to be honest. Ride like crap. Sure, they’re pretty bloody puncture resistant but just pay attention to what you’re riding over (sure sometimes you can’t avoid things) and dig stuff out of your tyres every now and then.

I’ve been using Paselas on my everyday commuter for ~ 2 years now and have had minimal issues. One puncture every now and then but usually from a pretty reasonable sized piece of glass. Only replaced the front just recently as the sidewall had started to get a bin thin and bulge-y.

Have also ridden the Nomads for a little bit. Roll quite nicely but are quite thin. I didn’t have any experiences with it but I don’t think it would take much to cut through them. Happy to be proven wrong as they’re still sitting in my wardrobe.

Worst…Tyre…Ever.

Paselas it will be then. I just need to find a source on the internet but I believe someone had a good source in another tread. Some random US shop who ships them quite cheapish.

Try JensonUSA

Agreed. Although Blakey says the ‘Hyper’ version is okay.

I’ve had these wiggle.com.au | Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Folding Road Tyre | Road Race Tyres on my work bike for the last few months. I reckon they’d be sweet for touring. In the city they’re a bit average only due to their softness (have heeeaps of cuts from glass and other shit in them) but they roll excellent and would probably be rad on ~~pristine country roads~~.

Another +1 for TG paselas, I have them on my nature boy, have been great for a year+, have never had a puncture (touch wood).

Yes, the sidewalls get dirty, but they come in all black too.

Totally different construction. Now called voyageur or something

Except when doin’ tha skidz.

From memory, my last >28c Paselas were bought through Amazon (CRC have them up to 28c; if I was after a thinner tyre than 28c I wouldn’t get Paselas). Or maybe Bikewagoncat on ebay?