Pedal assist MTB - yay or nay

I like the feeling of cleaning hard climbs under my own steam…but concede these could be a hell of a lot of fun.

No way, extra weight that the suspension and brakes are not designed for plus it would hsndle like garbage

Nay for MTB from me.

Not for single track, dirt road touring maybe?

nah to any use, unless you are infirm.

I’m planning on getting an E-cargo bike. I reckon I can justify that pretty easily, but not this.

When we rode the Otago Central Rail Trail they were conducting a survey that covered e-bikes on the trail. I think for people that would only ride the trail if they were on an e-bike for physical reasons (old/disabled/unfit) then I think it’s fine. E-MTB though; just get a motorbike (but don’t actually).

Just get a motorbike

Fuck that.

As for e-cargo bikes: as someone with a non-assisted cargo bike living in a hilly area, I reckon they’re a great idea.

At ACMC in Adelaide two years ago there was a guy hanging out and riding with us on a petrol assisted FSR. He was tearing it up on the street and said he takes it to DH trails pretty often. He uses the engine as a shuttle replacement then enjoys the extra weight on the descent.

Probab tears up downhill tracks too tho

And sucks the zen out of the ride.

Nope…

Yes.

You should come ride out cargo bikes at work, they have no e-assist and are very heavy, more than a kid and groceries, they are fine for ~5-8km trips around Melbourne inner city.

I rode one of the lighter ones over half of the Roobakes route for work, even than wasn’t too bad.

For a hilly city like Sydney I can see the appeal and if you wanted to tour on one (but then were would you charge?)

Huw gets around pretty good on his Surly with kids plus bikes plus stuff. Cargone couriers use bullits all day…

You should come ride out cargo bikes at work, they have no e-assist and are very heavy, more than a kid and groceries, they are fine for ~5-8km trips around Melbourne inner city.

I rode one the lighter ones over half of the Roobakes route for work, even than wasn’t too bad.

For a hilly city like Sydney I can see the appeal and if you wanted to tour on one (but then were would you charge?)

Huw gets around pretty good on his Surly with kids plus bikes plus stuff.

buy a scooter and go over round bouts in a suit and tie.

I think the mindset is that for most of us who ride a lot an e-bike seems unnecessary, but for someone who is less fit or capable, the extra 250W might mean the difference between getting up the hill or being able to cycle the whole distance on their commute that’s not from an inner city suburb (and not adequately served by PT).

I’d rather see more e-bikes than scooters or cars, just not the DUI-DIY ones blatting past on a shared path at 60km/hr.

But all of this is a diversion from e-mtb and their horrible cousin e-motobikes and the trail destruction/access issues that accompany them.

I was including Pete and Lauren as being fit enough to ride one comfortably, unless they are planning triplets or moving to Sydney (or Wellington).

and the price and weight difference is quite a bit between a cargo and an E-cargo.

I guess I see too many punters at work with them that don’t need them at all and then they tend to create more problems than they solve.

or get a cargo scooter

ef you mike!