Pet peeves / nasty habits / pre-ride rituals / boarder line OCD concerns

it’s too easy to add more shit things, so here’s some yin from me too:

steel perkins road frames with modern groupsets (jeremy’s!) - actually, perhaps all perkins frames, cause benzy’s looks freaking hot too. mavic ellipses on the street. low flange hubs laced to low profile rims. chrome chris king headsets. campbell’s gold bars that have had the anodizing worn off them. i like a little wear and tear on a frame - a touch of road patina adds class, like on tara jayne’s rensho. tom hall’s bike (stickers!). road drops. the old white-on-black hillman logo [actually, like hiz has (had?) on her bike]. bikes that fit the rider. bikes that look ridden. bikes that get ridden. cyclists who wave hello to other cyclists.

hang on, you mean that “urban” R&B crap I hope?

Real R&B is great.

people riding single speed that pedal down hills. seriously :expressionless:

the only thing worse, are the single speeders that still rotate the pedals slowly as they stop. you arent fooling anyone.

Facebook…

last night a dude was peddling backwards on a ss coming up to the lights , it must slow you down haha

like xBBx im going to keep it posi…

• nods from other cyclists (and nodding back) - esp when you are out in the sticks on a good stretch of road
    coming home muddy after a good trails ride (x100 if you are with mates who are equally muddy)
  • old guys who ride nice old bikes and look like they have done so for a while
  • good cadence
  • a well done wheelie
  • on-bike high fives as you pass people
  • the burn in your legs when you come back from a good, hard ride
  • taking a different route on a regular ride and discovering something rad
  • riding like you stole it late at night…

How’s this for weird. I’m an atheist and a total skeptic, so poo poo superstitions as ya would.
But I’ve got these 2 personal superstitions that i’m a slave to.
#1 Always put the right shoe, boot ,sandal whatever on first.If , and I rarely do put on the left one first, then I take it of and start over with the right one.
#2 always the left glove first.
Goes back to my motorcycling days in late teens when I got my road licence.

My rational brain tells me that messing with this regime will not mean diddly squat, as there is no universal importance or divine luck placed on such innocuous habits.But do you think i can bring myself to test it?

I’m fucked up,… I know.

What I like the most is seeing kids on bikes. That gives me hope for cycling into the future.2 wheels is the bestest fun a kid can have.

Superstition:
Gloves on last, always, so that I never forget them.

Negative:
Unplugged bars. Go tapeless all you want, but don’t fucking bodyplug yourself when drunk and then use my taxpayer dollars in the hospital because you couldn’t put the corks from your passion pop into your bar ends
The word “hipster”. Can we get over it?

Positive:
Watching someone get overtaken and give it the freaking beans to try and stay on the overtaker’s wheel, whether or not it succeeds
Hill climbing on one-gear bikes (fixed or SS)
Track bikes actually being used on a track
People slowing down to chat to you when you’re on an early morning ride
People stopping to ask if you’re all good when you’ve flatted

i NEVER double-knot my shoelaces, as i bite my fingernails and could never undo them…

canti’s…just not sure if I mean pos or neg yet.
I am about to regress 15 years and put some on my new tourer.

Things i love.

Old dudes that mash past you on a 90’s roadies.
Not because they are cool but because they bought it new and still ride it, and faster than me.

Finding cheap bikes with full campy.

Mapei team kits.

Old people

People who say ‘youse’ should be shot.

we’ve done the grammar thing to death sunshine. let’s keep this about cycling, eh?

people that don’t oil their chains :slight_smile:

The bad

• Noobs who lock up to a 3 foot high pole using a cable lock.
  • Tri bars.
  • Overtaking someone and having them overtake back by blowing a red light.
  • Foreign students failing with gears on hills.

The good

• Wet mornings, having the path to yourself and the handful of other heroes battling the rain.
  • Sailing past traffic jams.
  • Maxing out on the track but somehow finding that extra 5% in the sprint to get across the line.

Habit

• I don’t go more than 10m from my house without a spare tube, levers, 15mm & pump.

The Bad Hi Viz knob heads who want to suck you wheel
The Good anyone who enjoy’s there bike and keeps me employed fixing them
Habit Modifying any bike I ride

I can’t believe no one has said this already. Pet Peevs: Douche bags riding SS with only a front brake (esp when they’re riding a conversion or ‘fixie/SS’ and have wilfully removed the back brake). EIDIOTS. I have two friends that do this and I just wanna SLAP EM!

+1

Tom. Is he talking about you?!

I am so wearing my Hi Viz and riding <1cm off your back wheel on our next ride, You just wait Slinky :wink:

Can’t believe I missed this…

Pet peeves:
Front brake only single speeds (the rung below recumbants)
Flat bar roadies in full team kit
Squeaky chains with full team kit
Commuters that rings their fucking bells at everything
Guys that ride with their knees out at right angles
Cyclists that bitch about other cyclists :stuck_out_tongue:
Not using the ‘search’ function

As above but doing b [/b]while riding b[/b]

Same here when racing/riding motorbikes, but right glove first. Too worried about crashing if I change or don’t do it.