Planet X Kaffenback CX project

Ran into another issue; attaching the front derailleur. I couldn’t get a 28.6mm clamp so I got the 31mm clamp, so I need a shim. I assumed I’d have something at home that would work but coke can is too thin and old tube isn’t stiff enough.

Bike store. They’ll have lots kicking around as they come with the mechs.

Film canister.

eBay or Treadly or BMCR.

Or electrical conduit.

got a shim from the bike store (after the young guy told me it didn’t exist, the old guy went out the back and pulled out a whole box of them), tuned the gears, just waiting for the brakes to arrive and i’ll fit them and wrap the bars and it will all be ready

What store? I needed get one tomorrow as well.

standish cycles on henley beach road. i’d assume most shops would have them (you just have to get them to bother to look for them)

Cool. Thanks. Might hit up Bicycle sExpress and Stupid Elliott’s today.

Just checked, I need a 31.8 to 34.9.

The Giant store on Hindmarsh Square had one… And 20% off Giro New Road and Rapha City jackets. It’s the most expensive shim I have ever bought.

Well Mega Bike, Super Elliott and Bicycle Express don’t have them.

I think because you went into Standish asking for them, when I called today it was a lot easier. Grabbing one tomorrow.

brakes still haven’t arrived, was hoping to ride this weekend :frowning:

And it’s done :slight_smile:

Bar wrap is pretty dodgy but I’ve never been good at that. Rear brake mounts are pretty flexy so I might have to get a brake booster thing.

Rode it to work this morning, feels much more nimble than the surly and the brakes are pretty good (quite touchy though)

Nice one Squid. Lets see some better pics.

Re brakes. You got the correct amount of toe-in? if you increased the toe-in you should get better modulation surely?

Also run compressionless housing to remove spongy-feeling levers. (Odyssey housing is cheap from Pushys).

This, Odyssey housing feelsgoodman.jpg on my pomp with mini-V’s

good point, i’ve just set them up flush at the moment. fronts aren’t spongy, and with the rears it is definitely the stays/mounts flexing, but the brakes are good enough that it doesn’t really matter

I just bought one of these (the second iteration) to replace my GT work bike.

Squid - did you have any trouble fitting 32c or larger tires with fenders?

Built this today. Plenty of room for 35s with guards. Had to cut out a little section of the guard where it met the chainstay bridge. The clearance is fine everwhere for 32/35s except for the chainstays. Gets realllll tight. But it works.
Swapped everything over from the GT. A combination of Shimano 10s mountain shifters/brakes with 105 cranks.

Looks great fixiechampion! What rack is that?

The hard to get CETMA rack I reckon.