Planet X Kaffenback CX project

Picked the frame and fork up at a swap meet thing, along with some TRP magnesium brakes and a sram rival rear derailleur. Already had the wheels which I was using on my surly (which will now be a dedicated commuter/tourer), and have a bunch of other parts so hopefully this will be a fairly cheap and easy build.
Still need to sort out the gears, was thinking of running a 2x10 sram setup but I need most of the drivetrain (shifters, cassette, chain, front derailleur), or alternatively I can get horizonal dropouts for the frame and run a single speed setup.

Finished sourcing all the parts, just have to wait for them to come in. Will be running SRAM rival derailleurs with apex shifters, and went for a shimano dura ace chain and ultegra cassette as they were much cheaper than SRAM stuff

few more parts on it, still waiting for the final bits to come in. missing a bit of the headset that came with the frame (dirt seal) so I don’t think that will last long, and I thought I bought another headset but it seems it was everything except the cups.

Looking like that’s gonna come up nicely Squid. Keen to see the end result.

Only thing I’d change straight off the bat is swap out those TRP cantis for some mini-Vs. Those TRP cantis are low on power and PITA to adjust on the fly (which makes it pretty shit when on long gravel rides), and I imagine you’ll get horror brake shudder unless you can source one of those fork-mounted hangers that Specialized makes.

I’ll be running a spacer hanger thing, and these shouldn’t be too bad. I’ve got the tektro cr720’s on the surly and they are ‘acceptable’, so these should be alright, and also I got them pretty cheap and don’t really want to fork out a heap more for some decent mini-v’s. If they are truly terrible I’ll ditch them but I might as well try them out first

i like it.

keep the cantis. they match the hubs.

that shit’s important.

I can get you a fork mounted brake hanger thingo if you get stuck(they do work better than the spacer doo daaaas).

I’d agree with pissing off the canti’s unless you wanna play matchy matchy with the hubs. My Pomp was a million times better after I fitted V’s.

Also, have you guys seen the new disc Kaffenback? looks sweet.

+1 for mini Vs on pomps, heaps moar betterer ATMO
Also not sure if there is any scientific reason to back this up but swapped to odessy slic compression less housing (cos i has some that cost $2 from pushys sale but mostly cos colourway) and it seems to make i bit of a difference to the feel of the brakes (old housing was properly cut ends filed flat etc so should have been working as well as possible)

Looks pretty sweet.

it appears that i am missing the springs for the brakes and they are $20/pair + postage from TRP, so mini v’s may be on the cards if i can’t find/adapt some springs.
what are a good mini v/where can i get them? I can only find some tektros on crc

Check AL’s Mini-V thread:
http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f36/brakes-can-stop-do-wanna-fitting-tektro-926al-mini-vs-26338/

I have a set of unused TRP CX8.4’s that I bought but never used (still NIB). If you want them flick me a PM. :slight_smile:

Not as Balleur as the rest of your build appears but 926ALs cost about the same as your springs, work fine for me with road brake levers and koolstop road type pad holders with the koolstop cross compound pads (came with the holders work fine haven’t worn out yet so still using)
926’s have the shortest arms (80mm) and hence best rim clearance for a given brake lever if that is important to you (cheap is what is important to me which is why i’m using them) dunno what brake levers you will be using but the more brake cable they pull the less you will need super short mini V’s

Apex shifters: 85mm arms OK. Either tektro rx5 or trp cx8.4 or the other one.

the smuglordTM has spoken :stuck_out_tongue:

tried the cantis in the backyard (with ghetto cable tie springs) and they suck a fair bit, will be getting the TRP CX 8.4s from JICE.

anybody want these cantis?

What about Rival?

^ Same, just w carbon lever.

Once more for those in the cheap seats:

All SRAM road, all hidden cable shimano: 85mm ok.
Tektro/shimano aero levers, Campy ergopower, ext gear cable shimano: 80mm ok.
90mm: just say no.

You can get away with 85mm on other levers, but it’s dependent on stud placement, rim width/trueness, giveafuckery.

Lookin good.

Received the other parts today, will fit the gears up this weekend and just waiting for the new brakes to arrive. Unfortunately going to miss CX this weekend but I was busy anyway