Polo or Bust: Wanderin' Along the Bad Road, Brisbane polo party/tournament 27 March

A no muss, no fuss tournament/polo party for polo hobos, tramps, vagabonds, crumbs, and barnacles to be held at Musgrave Park Polo Courts, Cordelia Street Brisbane on Sunday March 27 11am til the sun goes down.

…to say “good bye” to Erin as she wanders back along the lost highway, “hello” to Ali a newcomer polo hobo, “please stay Rootbeer” (the O.G. polo hobo), and most of all a big thanks for the bright times to Brisbane polo massive. A kind of homage to all the polo passers by through Brisbane.

***REGISTRATION CLOSED (one spot on one team for one individual still remains) ***

draw: Hobo Cup Draw 27/03/11

format: 5 swiss rounds + top 4 in finals single elim.

Games start at 10am!

The level of formality is low, this is a polo party with a side of organisation and seriousness (serious beer drinking at least). So wear your glad rags, bring your bindle mallets, california blankets, scrumpy and tramp beers, and come play polo at Musgrave Park!

Please wear tramp attire to this event…

Dammit, I’m in Melbourne that weekend. :frowning:

dont think i can play, but will come hang out when i get home.

that’s ok dan, let’s make every polo sunday til the end of march massively loose and boozy in order to celebrate the winds of change in polo. :slight_smile:

I’m down with this idea :slight_smile:

Champagne polo every Sunday!

guys a penny for your thoughts…

because of the informality of the event, and because i thought it’d be hard to get people to put themselves into teams at short notice, blah blah blah… what do you think about this format (based on a tourney i played in in france last year):

each person individually registers and based on my knowledge of your experience, i seed each player into a team. it’s like a premeditated throw in format. and just makes it easier to work out schedule in advance, know numbers, but still have a fairly even spread of teams. it’s like the benefit of a throw in tourney, without the messiness of on the spot organising… actually another tourney i went to did this because it was pitched as a ‘it’s my party and i’ll choose the teams if i want to’ format…

from this, one of two formats will happen (again, need your input) -

a) full round robin if small number of teams (5 or less), one court

b) double elimination if 6 or more teams. i know it’s less polo for teams who are losing, but thought that it would be easier to manage because wouldn’t mean having to split the courts into two to save time…

ideas? because it’s more of a party than a tourney, i figure less polo playing and more sideline activities (heckling, etc) is ok?

the tourney i played in worked really well as a double elim, so this is why i am leaning towards this…

OR you could vote to just register teams and individual stragglers can straggle up together on the day.

AND we can do full round robin if time permits, and if someone can help me split the courts…

So you are saying players a ranked, A, B or C. And then players are drawn randomly from each pool to form teams. I.e One A player drawn randomly, with one B player drawn randomly, one C player drawn randomly to create the first team, and so on…?

how about the OG brisbane tourney format? we havent played it in ages.

Register on the day (so we are not waiting on people that have registered and dont turn up)

Start @ 12.

Names go in the hat.

Randomly draw teams out of hat. 100% fair process.

Play round robin on our brisbane court size.

3,2,1 Polo!

… we have played a full round robin with 7 teams at the end of 2009 with that format and it worked great …

Keen to come up for this, the more the merrier!

2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 2vs2 !!!

yup was wondering/stressing about this today… racking my brains trying to think of the 2009 format. two courts, round robin, 7 teams?

i was worried about time, sundown, not enough time to do the draw… i am a panic merchant…

also, i didn’t want to overshadow brisbane champs thing with a leaving do as Simon had told me bris champs for late April, but now he seems quite keen to combine the two?

2 v 2 would be cool too… don’t know why but i was thinking about this in the car this morning…

also - i think it should be established teams, this seems to be the consensus…

not jumping the gun here - but the bris champs organising COMM (heh) are wanting to move their date forward to this same sunday, so with the consent of everyone, i propose to merge the two.

with the stipulation that it’s a full round robin tournament, played on two courts, with pre-registered teams. more details to come, but start organising yourselves…

this is still brisbane, this is still chill…

Brisbane Champs for 27 March 2011.

the more the merrier :slight_smile:

No merger. Strongly against it. Wants wrong with two tourney’s. its not like we have had one since nationals?

I think the 27th should be more a fun tourney. fuck the rules and fuck everything else. full size brisbane court. people will get to play with random teams and enjoy it abit more.

Brisbane tourney two or three weeks later will give people the opportunity to display their team skills and nationals teams if they are attending. and play half court.

as for sundown issues, time to do the draw? no issues there. every other time we did this, the draw was made up on the spot. its not hard to do a round robin draw and fit it in one afternoon. Cap the games at 10 mins/first to 3 goals. Its quick. No one sits in the sun for long periods of time. we have anough time to break like 3 rounds through for beer runs.

sorry? i really think i missed your o.g. point… did you not just suggest that up top?

simon and rootbeer msg’d be earlier about it. sorry, was under the impression they had set dates in april but because i was leaving, and because they wanted to keep it away from acmc, they offered a merger…

sorry if i missed something…

and no, absolutely nothing wrong with two tourneys whatsoever.

i’m piping down here, waiting for BrisChampsCOMM to rule in whatever direction they see fit.

polo will happen on this day no matter what and that’s the main thing.

I like the idea of random teams of 3. Erin, you want a fun relaxed farewell - if this was your first instinct then go with it. There are plenty of serious teams tournaments in the next few months. Your tournament, your choice.

Ps - I agree with gypsy -don’t split the court! I love playing Brisbane style on a gigantic court.

Even though I’m not going to be there, I’d say random draw, 10 minute games first to 3. It’s fun as hell and you can work out the draw on the day. No stress as nobody is putting in wads of cash or expecting massive props for winning the damn thing.