Polo or Bust: Wanderin' Along the Bad Road, Brisbane polo party/tournament 27 March

I am happy with whatever we deicide to do
Maybe we should have the ‘Polo Cup’ as random/seeded draw on the 27th, and the ‘Polo Championships’, team registered, in April
I can then put both results on our perpetual trophy!!
(2009 winners were randomly drawn, 2010 winners were team registered)
I was keen that we had at least one event to continue the tradition with our memorial trophy.
The more the merrier!
its gonna be a great day…i can’t wait
This is how we roll in brisbane…xxx

the only reason for a court split would be to be able to do a round robin for more polo if there were say, 5 or more teams. could always do double elim in the case of 5 of more as i mentioned above. and this can be decided closer to the day. i am happy not to have to split.

Dan, no, there won’t be any registration fee.

The draw won’t be randomly selected (I don’t like this format much), though an element of the informality of the throw in format is retained because individuals can register and if they don’t know anyone, i can help them form a team in advance. The reason I reserved the seeded throw in option (i never envisioned this as a throw in) was to provide for a back up is if there wasn’t enough interest, or if people felt they had no time - but after speaking to a few brisbane people who like the idea of teams (which i prefer), I am allowing people to play in teams OR register individually. Damon did something similar for australia day, and it seemed to work really well.

Teams don’t have to be set in stone, individuals can form them on the day or in advance I can help people find their match, as long as I know names and numbers, this can happen relatively easily.

So, this is not a throw in, sunday throw ins are throw ins… i kinda wanted to do something a step up on that, that’s why i decided to have an organised thing.

As much as it is informal because it’s polo masquerading as a leaving do (so few prizes, more like going away presents and trampy tat), i love competitive polo and stepping things up a bit for tournaments, regardless of what’s on offer etc. This is what I meant about informal I guess.

Based on chats I’ve had with some Brisbane folk it seems many are keen to play with a permanent second and third, so I’ve decided to give this a go.

Thanks, sorry if I missed something.

Format: Full round robin or double elim, 12min games or first to 5. (this may change, but shouldn’t affect the outcome… just about time management innit).

teams or individuals can register their name here, or to my email address erin dot giuliani at gmail dot com

and Simon, I love the idea that the winner of the Hobo Cup might get a special place on the trophy too.

Tournament in May? AND April?!? wow, i think ive got a funny feeling in my pants.

I cant say that im not happy, but this is what happened last year and we all discussed giving more notice to inter-staters if at all possible.

hehe, this one is march. i am sure the tourney organisers of the bris cup will give you plenty of notice…

yeah erin love the idea, it’ll work well and try something new for once.

Brook and I have just booked our tickets!

ach! can’t wait to see you both!!!

We shall be arriving in Brisbane at 7.30am on Sunday morning. Any good places to have breakfast near the court?

west end is right next door, heaps of good places to eat.

Flights booked! Flying in Thursday night. Flying out at like 5 monday morning to get back for work.

I’m definately in for this. count me in.

Dave

thanks dave, sent you a pm re: team :slight_smile:

9 teams rego’d so far:

MPS
Local
ahem… dutch rudders
Hobo-erotica
PhuqStix
Aaron, Eddy and Andy
T-Boners
Erin, Gyp, Lewis
fixiegc

(still 3 individuals on the list, so there will most likely be a 10th)

format yet to be decided.

it’s likely that registration will be capped at 10 teams because of limited time, one court only, and i think everyone is covered now anyway.

more like the FAUX styx

dungeon dwellers (formerly known as FIXIEGC)

^cool! will amend

team name amendments …