Rapha Rising

Mt Pleasant Rd if you’re in Melb, or ride out to Marysville and do the circuit

Sydney edition

Honestly, they’re not. The ones who keep the cycling industry alive are the ones who ride their bikes.
Someone who buys an $8000 road bike and then has it sit around in the garage most days to occasionally take it out and ride down the beach on it don’t have the service requirements or new gear requirements of any everyday cyclist.

Sure, they’ll spend a bunch in all in one go, but I don’t think they’re the ones keeping the shops open.

I’d wager that this is something that bike shop owners have analysed from actual sales receipts rather than just pulling assumptions out of their butt.

While we’re making wild generalisations I’ll say that Old mate ‘australian cycling executive’ or Dr Beach DDS who drops $8K on a bike, upgrades it in 2 years because it’s ‘gone soft’ and gets it serviced at the shop because their time is worth more than the cost of a bike mechanics is putting more money into the shop compared to C-Grade Cheapskate who races combine, orders consumables from the internet and wants a discount to match wiggle’s pricing when they need a chain for tomorrow’s rapha ride.

Leave Carole the trail blazer alone.

So… The weather is holding out and I reckon I’m going to smash a few more k’s out tonight.

I did do a google search for any Beach roads in Adelaide, and they’re too far away to try and ride tonight.

Gotta ride Beach road before hitting Mt Pleasant I reckon. Imagine buying this 8 grand bike and being told you should only use it out there?! fuck me I would have thrown it down the hill.

#becausefyxo

yep, he started it. he does some fkn epic rides & I rate his efforts highly though. but that hashtag…

again, why do I even care?!?! bahhhhhhhh

Beach road rocks if you roll weekdays in between traffic peaks, there’s no posers out and you get to smash it without the ease of trailing a wheel.
you’d never catch me on beach road on peak times though.
Nice fast flat km’s with great views and the option to draft the odd truck if you’re copping a headwind to make it fun.

haterzgonnahate

As a Melbourne tourist I love beach rd,
It’s much like our David Lowe way on the Sunshine Coast, easy k’s, flat and a great ocean view.
What’s not to like? Yeah there’s the guys that drive in traffic to park at st Kilda and go for a 40km ride but hey who cares we all enjoy toying with them.
I also think the hastag is less an attack on #beachrd but more a spur on to get people to ride outside the box but not all of us have time to do that.

Yep I’m doing it too. I’m in two minds about the Rapha x Strava thing, but I’m new to GPS and Strava and I’m also finding it a good motivation to get on the bike. It’s stretching me as it is a lot more than I would normally do in a week.

Yesterdays ride:
Bike Ride Profile | Rapha Rising hills ride near Mosman | Times and Records | Strava

Coming on Lizanne’s epic via Jenolan Caves on Saturday, Carlin?

I’ve got about 3000m left to do, the next three days rain, hail and strong winds have been forecast. I didn’t ride this morning because I thought the weather was going to be shit (it was windy and raining when I went to bed), so I slept in for an extra hour and woke up to blue skies.

Also, I think my wife is getting sick of my updates on how many metres I’ve climbed and where I am compared to other people doing the challenge.

This morning was faaaar nicer than the last few days! How do you rack up the vertical in Adelaide?

I wanna try this strava thingo out but my phone is the only one that the app won’t install on

Yeah, it was pretty windy

I do Norton Summit before work. That’s 660-ish metres without trying.

Last Sunday we did up Glynburn, Mt Osmond, down to the Old Freeway to Lofty, down Greenhill and then over to Nortons.

I’ll try and find the Strava link.

EDIT: http://app.strava.com/activities/66899872

this morning wasnt too cold but it was windy as fuck!

its easy to get 1000m around adelaide, just do one of the one billion possible hills loops. shouldnt take more than 50km to get 1000m vertical

If I had known about it earlier, but I have other commitments now. Should be nearly done by then, got another 1000m under the wheels today.

How many kilometers and vertical meters are planned for Saturday out of interest?

As much as I don’t want to agree with Alex, he’s right. The ride we did was 55k and we did about 1700m of climbing. Probably could’ve done more if we planned it better.

going up and down the same climb just to get elevation is pretty boring though