Pass

2018:
Be a good doctor
Ride 2000kms over the year
Don’t study after-hours for the whole year
Be an emotionally present father and not just in body
1 x overseas trip with the fam
Treat my wife like the goddess she is

I was listening to a podcast yesterday or the day before, who said most people fail at their resolutions because they write the list of resolutions and then don’t put into plan how they are going to achieve them.

For example, if you write that you want to run a marathon, what is the next step to get you to running a marathon. If you’ve never run before, you probably want to run around the block a few times, or get some running shoes or something equally similar.

Reading this thread, that seems to happen to a few of us. We write these lists and only assess it at the end of the year, maybe achieved those goals with little effort or change in habits towards achieving our resolutions.

Maybe that can be the plan for week two of the year. ‘Now you’ve made your resolutions, how in the world are you going to achieve them!’

Totally agree. I’ve lost 4kg in the past 4 weeks and it’s all because I actually put into action a plan to do it. I’m tracking all the food and kj I’m eating using MyFitnessPal, weighing myself regularly and am eating heaps of low kj foods and cut down the chocolate and junk by about 90%. Key to the last part is substituting in heaps of good food to stave off the hunger. This book really helpedand isn’t at all like the normal dietary fad wank that’s out there.

Seems I didn’t bother making an resolutions last year. For 2018:
Keep eating well and get below 85kg
Go on at least 4 decent (4+ day) bikepacking trips. I’ve already started planning and booking them in so that’s a good start.

Not sure what my goals are this year

Family holiday to Fiji is on the cards, so probably that
Ride faster would be good too, FTP up by about 15% last year, see if I can get another 10% or so this year, but not really that fussed…
Just keep on #dadlyf and #worklyf i guess!

A bit of a check up on last years goals.

Consume Less - quality over quantity
It is easy to buy things all the time with online shopping only a click away. My aim is to think about each purchase and make sure that the purchase will fit into my life and will last. Which sort of moves into the next one…
I think I did this quite well, as you all know and I apologise for… I like to research everything to make sure that my money is spent well. Sometimes this ends up not being a purchase which points out that I didn’t really need it in the first place. I will continue this over this year and probably for a long time.

Dress better + dress smarter
In the past I had up to 50 shirts in my wardrobe. My aim is fill the wardrobe with quality clothes that will last and support those brands that offer lifetime warranties/repairs.
Kind of - my wardrobe has slimmed down, I have bought some Patagonia, Icebreaker and Swrve items. However, I don’t think I am dressing any better. My fashion sense is fkn bland.

Finish the renovation
I hope to be in the house by the first half of this year
Tick - moved into the house in May

Start the landscaping
By the end of this year I would love to have fruit trees, bee hive, plans for a chicken coop and to have my yard…
Failed, we have machinery coming in next week to level the yard so I can start the landscaping.

Get a dog
… puppy proofed.
Failed - No dog.

Ride through winter
It is easy to not ride through winter, I would like to keep spinning and make riding part of who I am again.
Failed - I will need to purchase some proper cycling gear for this.

Plan that holiday
Mt Buller with some of the FoA crew, Tasmania, NZ
No holiday planned - Fail.

Buy an adventure bike
Head out on an overnighter, or a multi nighter
Tick - Kona Sutra LTD. Did head on a multi nighter, but it turned into an overnighter.

Read books
Blakey has helped and encouraged me to start reading again which I have really enjoyed. I find myself reaching for a novel now instead of turning on the Playstation. Whilst I still enjoy video games, I am definitely growing out of it. I am looking to read 12 books this year.

Explore
Vee and I have set a goal to get out and explore once a month. We started with a 22km walk to Mt Kosciuszko the other day. The deal is that on the current adventure, we have to lock in what we are doing the next adventure and set aside a date for it. We have the next one sorted and locked in.

Experience
I want to fill up my memory bank. I want stories to tell. Some of this will come from the above but I want to say yes to more things. To not be scared of the situation I could find myself in and just go with the flow. I have already put my hand up to help Rohan Anderson (author, cook - http://www.newhere.com.au) to cook for a custom motorbike show in Braidwood in March.

I would like to share my time more, to put my hand up to help people out. Not to be the one who is always asking for other peoples help.

Capture
I am aiming to keep taking photos, to understand exactly what I need to with the camera to achieve the image I have in my head. With this I would like to create a site to showcase images and perhaps tell some stories along the way.

Yoga
To develop a habit of yoga, mainly for stretching and keeping the body moving. I found late last year my body started giving me grief, knee and back pain was becoming an issue.

They look good Ezy, and good strike rate on last years for a list with lots of big ticket items on it.

I want to finish this year with a plan for our house, but not jump the gun with excitement and do something half-baked.

Also, keep Ev pumped about climbing, I’m still convinced it can and will be a good outlet to escape the general madness that is growing up a kid these days.

you should talk to that ‘mayorofcanberra’ bloke on insta. He is supremely helpful and generous with his time and local knowledge.

lol let me queer eye for the straight guy you.

I reckon you would like these:

or just buy some second hand commes des garcon and be done with it.

or just look at what Nagesh is wearing he is v. well dressed (the secret is linen…)

do ittt!!!

FAIL – No yoga. Knee pain is an issue

I haven’t even thought of 2019’s goals. I will come back to this one.

I haven’t even thought of 2019’s goals. I will come back to this one.

1. Get rid of a lot of the things;
  2. Learn a new surf tune each month;
  3. Get knees and hips and ankles working again (achieve a full squat…and arthritis be damned!)

Can’t think of anything work-related, just yet.

2017 resolutions were quickly forgotten and turned in to 2018 resolutions.

New job at dept of home affairs and good at it ✓ ✓
Watch all godfather movies back to back ✗
More vegan activism, decided while i like my life choices idgaf about this ✗
Run a marathon ✗
Run a parkrun 5k sub 20min. Didn’t do a parkrun, did go out on my own and do a 15:32 5k ✓
Ride 600km solo in 24h hours ✗
Improve FTP from 5.2w/kg to 5.5w/kg and improve 5min beyond 6.6w/kg. Pushed FTP to 5.78w/kg and 5min to 7.34w/kg ✓✓
Improve posture, thank god yes finally started to improve ✓✓✓
Do core exercise consistently. Yes! ✓✓✓
Win a race, won 3 and never finished outside of top 4 ✓✓✓✓✓

EDIT: Eat a burrito with kit christopher. My fav resolution. ✓

2019 goals:
Improve my job related skills and move in to a higher position.
Start fitting in 30mins of gym 3 times a week.
Manage time better.
Win more races.
Go back to Taiwan and Japan.
Eat another burrito with Kit Christopher.

1. Finally start selling my beer
  2. Fly to California to do some training in a big famous craft brewery (invited by the owner)
  3. Build my oh so 90s race roadie
  4. Go bike camping at least 5 times
  5. Pay off all debt but student loans
  • Financial plan is going great, we should have done this years ago.
  • 2nd in Class, though this was the fastest I’ve ever been.
  • I dabbled with yoga middle of 2018, have started again over the holidays. Really enjoying it, though at this stage it is a solo hobby.

• Continue with yoga.
  • Stay on financial path.
  • 1:35 at Winton.

Best to send some to me first so I can check that it’s suitable for the market.

bloody hell.

I want to do more cardio this year, i really let it go and go and go last year.

Fail. Started off okay for a month or two and then the alcohol expenditure blew out. Never recovered either. I probably read about 15 books, so no shortage of reading - just too much drinking.

This year:
Daily yoga and meditation practice.
Go for regular long rides, preferably in the hills.