Retro MTB is the new fixed

If anyone buys this i’ll buy the bars off you.

Buys what?

GT Karakoram | eBay

I was gonna say…they’re just flat, black ano bars with GT etched on them (Kalloy if memory serves me). Theres a tidy GT bar for sale on retrobike at the moment actually.

Yeah but they happen to be from 1991, and I happen to have a 1991 zaskar.

I just checked and i think i threw out that same bar a few weeks ago. I did not imagine this current situation presenting itself. Will keep eyes peeled for another!

Karakoram bar is low end compared to what a Zaskar level bike would have (I don’t think there was a Zaskar complete anyway, just going off what was on the Team Avalanche that year). I’d look for a Taperlite or similar if I were you.

Both in Brisbane.

Specialized Rockhopper $100 BIN

Retro Specialized Rockhopper Mountain Bike | eBay

Specialized Stumpjumper $150 BIN

Retro Specialized Stumpjumper Mountain Bike | eBay

Bargains!

Be wary if not local. I bought a GT avalanche frame and Judy SL off this guy in November (arranged it over on BNA) and it disappeared with the courier apparently…con-note supplied was invalid, gave me two different courier companies to contact (neither of whom had ever done a pickup from his location) and I am still chasing it now, he ran me around with excuses for three months almost. Claimed to be sending me another Judy SL he had and that has now been almost a month in the post.
I notice there is a number of ‘item not received’ feedback posts if you go through his feedback stats.
Anyway, buyer beware if you plan to purchase and aren’t local.

All that said, if you could pick up in person there should be no issue. The A1 stumpy is rare but its a rockhopper with stumpy geometry in the end, and it looks a bit of a bitsa. The '94 steel Rockhopper is really honest and looks cool with its color coded Quadra fork.

My preference is one the rockhopper too. I love that stx group and should have never sold the full group I had.

Argh! I just had Rock Shox Quardra flashback. They were bad. Go older and see if you can find some Mag 21’s. Short on travel, but a great fork.

Sheeeeeeet, I just saw that JP is selling his 1989 Ritchey Timberline frameset (fillet-brazed by the man himself) - see Frames http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f5/ritchey-timbercomp-1989-20-extras-26954/

People get on it, thats some serious MTB pron right there. Rarer than hens teeth. $700 is a steal for a frame like that.

Agree, Pron for tall people’s !!

Shame he had to obliterate the serviceable original paint and decals. I guess its the whole conservation/restoration thing.

Sold on the bay and the guy just picked them up, they are going on his sons 24" MTB - that kid must have the best bike around!

MARIN STEEL MTB-Bear Valley SE- Mid 90’s classic cro-mo frame from top USA brand | eBay

Could go cheap, forks look 1 1/8th threaded? so a modern rigid fork could work…

Yep, if I had to do it all again, I’d do the same, but I can def see the other side of the coin. People really seem to love that paint.

The bar on the marin is worth at least $30 on its own, i reckon :slight_smile:

Cadex MTB (Part Carbon Fibre) | Bicycles | Gumtree Australia Pine Rivers Area - Petrie

This any good as an older MTB ? Seems alright, but I don’t know anything about MTB’s