Retro MTB is the new fixed

Cadex are rad - my friend uses one similar for a commuter, nearly 20 years old and still going strong. Magura Hydro rim brakes are also fantastic (if not a bitch to set up). Def worth the $200.

I would put a rigid or era correct fork on the Cadex if I were the buyer…Big long fork is asking for trouble on something like that.

Marin looks nice, wonder what frame material it is. They held out with threaded headsets for a long time! Plenty of modern and vintage rigid forks which could work, I would run a nice short non-corrected fork. I would say its about a 1995 and probably had a marin lite curved blade fork originally.

JP, no disrespect intended, its just a shame, I’m sure it doesn’t affect the way it rides but I imagine most potential purchasers for that kind of coin would want something in tidy original finish.

Dude, you’re right. Your hardcore fanatic collectors will always be after original paint. But I think JP knows that and has priced it accordingly. If it was a 1989 FB Ritchey (handmade by Tom), with original paint, I think it would fetch ALOT more than $700. Do you know how much 80s Ritchey P23s, Yeti ARCs, Fat Chances and Wilderness Trail Bikes can fetch? They are some serious big ticket items. Personally I think this frame is a deal for $700. I’ve seen that bike in the flesh. It is awesome! So fricken light - a race bike for sure. Someone’s gonna love it and who knows maybe even win some 24 hour races on it.

When I read this thread I almost wished i hadn’t sold my 91 Bridgestone MB1 with the Ritchey fork, but then I remembered the profit I made.

Me on my brother in laws early carbon fibre giant in as new condition (with some dust). Too late to be retro, late 90s I think?

I wish I’d bought that MB1 & rode the Mawson Trail on it.

Too long in the top tube for you .

Those MBs would make lovely gravel grinders. The fork blades were so narrow at the drop out, it was so smooth on semi-rough stuff, and of course they looked unreal. As an MTB, they were (apparently, according to sum-guy who raced em) a one season machine. Ovalised headtubes on the lugged ones, cracks everywhere on the Zips. I felt as though I was going to fold the whole bike when I was riding on proper singletrack.