Road Rides Around Canberra

Thanks for the heads up. Wanted to have pizza next door but they are closed. I guess it will come down to what is open and what isnt. We only had beers there the last time which were VERY nice.

Riley had her sections xmas party there…the food is still shit. Quite a few of the people in her team didn’t finish their meals.

Yeh the beer at Bentspoke is great.

Burgers at Civic Pub (Lonsdale Street) are good.

Do you have an idea of what time you’ll be starting tomorrow? Keep in mind that it’s not very far from Tharwa to Honeysuckle.

Will be in town again from Saturday till Monday this weekend. Cotter Dam planned for Sunday late-ish morning (due to hoping the day will have warmed up by then). 120ks starting in town. Anyone want to join let me know.

Probably going for a trail run Monday morning around Stromlo. Any ideas what to run around the 10-15k mark? Struggling with a knee injury so the more changing terrain the trail has the better.

Beers, nice food…anytime.

Marc - for running, head south along the centenary trail from Stromlo, this takes you around Coolaman ridge. Check this run out, it’s about 5km but if you are starting at Stromlo you can include Narrabundah Hill and work your way over to Coolaman Ridge and then loop around the Nature Reserve and back to Stromlo.

I won’t be able to join you as I will be working on my house… which is damn close to Stromlo. Google Woollum Crescent - thats where I will be at.

It seems I’m out of town whenever you’re here. This weekend’s no different. Sorry

Hey Marc, I’m keen but I can’t start too late, 8am from Civic is good with me. Also Cotter dam is actually a fairly short ride, and the last km or so is a gravel climb that might not be doable on a roadie, especially after the big rain we had (and not that interesting either). Did you mean Corin rather than Cotter?

Will let Fobbler know if that’s OK, he’s a good dude.

Also, keep an eye on the TAMS website for crossing closures. Most of the low crossings (Point Hut, Urriara, Coppins) are closed because of flooding. If it rains more this week they may stay closed. It won’t affect going to Cotter though

Gosh, of course I meant Corin, thanks for asking. Are any roads closed around that area, does anyone know by any chance?
We were thinking of a 10am start. Quite unusual for us but we just dont have the gear that allows riding at 0 degrees :wink: Guess we will just have to ride harder.

Thanks Ezy, will check it out, sounds good to me.

Check this out
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/roads-transport/act_public_road_closures/listings/temporary_road_closures

If going out to Corin you’ll have to go via Cotter or Tharwa if Point Hut is still closed.
It’ll be worth stopping at Gibraltar Falls half way up the hill because it’s raging at the moment.

Thanks folks. We’ll see how we go. Current plan is breaky at Stand by Me on Sunday morning and then riding out to Corin. Followed by a trail run Monday morning out at Stromlo or a quick road climb up Honeysuckle. We’ll have fun.

Im gonna gave to pass Mark, sorry. 10 am start is a bit too late for me. Have fun!

Thats ok, its for us as well, we normally start having our lunch at that time :wink: but lets see how it goes.

Does this make sense, riding in an out again? We came from the other side the last time but checked this way out via car. Looks like a nice option or am I missing anything? We might even park the car at Stromlo if we want to make a shorter option or take a detour somewhere.

Thanks again.

I prefer to ride down Northbourne, hook onto the bike path that goes around the lake and come out onto Cotter road.

Tuggeranong parkway is a no-no on a bike.

Coming back I generally go via Point Hut road then hook onto the bike paths of Tuggeranong, Woden etc then back to town. Can be a bit of a kerfuffle sometimes to find the next bit of path, and certainly way not scenic like Cotter/Tidbinbilla rd, but I find it’s a good way to wind down after the climbing onto Corin and Tidbinbilla rd. Perfectly doable to go back the way you came though , but it’ll up the ante on an already solid ride.

Many thanks Seb. Looks like Point Hut Road is open so we may do it that way. Guess we can still decide on the day depending on how we feel, if we froze to death or what not may happen out there :wink:

^THIS IS TRUTH

As a Sydney peak hour rider I thought riding back from Stromlo to Monash on a Saturday am would be a doddle, fuck me, never again, so many pinch points.

Next time I’m stopping in the Mayors place for guidance.

Current plan is to start the ride from Stromlo after breakky in Lyon so we should be save :wink: