School Project

Your bike computer should be fine. Just don’t assume you are always riding at 30km/hr.

After you do your 4 laps record the average speed over the distance and your heart rate (average if you can).

Even if you do 4 laps at 28km/hr with an average heart rate of 120bpm, and the other at 32km/hr at 110bpm. You will be able to come up with some useful data after enough samples.

I would almost be inclined to do 4 laps X 4 each day just to end up with more samples to average out. Just make sure you rest long enough between rides.

if you did the test at an in door velodrome or course if you can find one it would control some of the variables like temperature, wind etc…??? i could be wrong but my two cents.

that would remove alot of variables but im lazy and just going to use the brunswick drome because it is available all the time and just down the road

Why can’t you do the ‘erupting volcano’ experiment?

or try this:

or

or alternatively

whats the length of the brunswick velodrome?

four to a mile. you do the math, smart guy!

actually, i’m not sure of that. perhaps it’s five laps to the mile. can’t remember. eitherway, you’ll have to stay on the black line the whole time, which at brunswick is incredibly tricky.

disc is available for use during the day. ring first. and it’s 250 metres along the black line.

Don’t use my [b]~![color=Red]@#~!@#~*#~!#~KNOG!!!`~~~!@~!@~!@~[/b][/color] speedo, it may have been a prototype, either way, it has Alzheimers - it forgets how far you’ve gone, and when you ask it how fast you went, it makes something up. :expressionless: “Oh, Grandpa!” canned laughter

Knog look cool, but they’re not the most reliable are they?

sorry, didnt know if you had a bike computer… thought you might be using a stopwatch and estimating speed from that. i guess i grew up in simpler times :expressionless:

basically i think you are onto a good experiment and most importantly having a (relatively) fun time doing it.

now we have all commented on this so much you MUST post your results… and im hoping we wont pick them to pieces too much. :roll:

wow! what are the measurement points for hip angle? And can you throw in some links to docco on lung capacity decreasing when it is altered incrementally? I’m on board with power output decreasing as a result, but lung capacity, I havent seen that before.

All of the current TT saddles (bar the new arione with a shorter nose) were, as far as i know, made for triathlon, and most for ironman, which is 5hours+ for an elite age group athlete in the aero postion. Theyre padded so people can comfortably roll their pelvis forward and achieve an low elbow, aero postion on the bike for a long time. Power increases with this pelvic tilt, but more importantly, the lower back doesnt have to bend as much to allow the upper body to be low. People can then run their marathon without waiting for ther backs to unfurl for 30mins.
As usual, cyclists are 10 years behind triathletes in technology uptake and the italians are going to take another 5 years to get to where the rest of the peloton are now.

I will post my results but they won’t be up for a couple months till I finish, until then adios, thanks for the help guys.

it’s five laps to the mile.

Aeons: how goes it? Got a progress update for us?

Don’t know the exact measurement points but at a guess: the angle between hip to knee and hip to shoulder. I have come across research before looking at this, and when I have some spare time I’ll look again. Or you could save me some time and jump on a trainer and tell me if you think it’s harder to breath in the drops (I know I do)… maintain your speed, watch you HR increase.

I had to had in the plan ages ago and it got approved by i have had so much work I am only just about to start the project now, I got the heart rate moniter and had it working but now it doesn’t wanna work :frowning: also I just got a roadbike on loan from a mate for the Victorian school regionals on friday, its my first road race so I am working on learning how to use a road bike, im so used to riding fixed its confusing to have to think about what your doing, best thing is the cleats they are so good.
I will start next weekend

sounds good. the aerodynamic differences will increase as velocity increases, so if you can push for higher speeds you will more likely find a difference in HR.

another simple test would be to find a decent hill, and just roll down in both the drop/top positions, then check for any differences in max speed.

please pm me for help with your english assignments.

I’m not sure if someone addressed this.

should be

Get a friend to test too!

im doin that 2… friday the 14th? down at casey fields?
What age group u in?