School Project

Im 15, in Amateurs. I am not going to do very well because the bike I am using I have only ridden 2 times now. Also its my first road race, but im looking forward to it, What kind of bike do you have, I will spot you, I have a bright yellow Gitane. I heard Casey Fields can be a bitch if there is wind
Sean

Im also 15 (1 month from 16 :lol:) but im not in amateurs… I did amatures 2 years ago at casey. i think you do 3 laps so its a sprint from the start. I got a red and black trek 5500 and will probably be decked out in CCCC kit (blueish)

Casey fields is always a bitch… Ive race there bout once a fortnight for a couple of months and its always been windy.
cya there
Tom

and wat school u racing 4?

Melbourne High, do you know Jack from cccc?
I heard our race was 40 minutes and then 3 laps, how is three laps a race may as well do track

Jack Cummings? if so ive raced him but dont really know him.
Im at St Bedes down in mentone.
I hope its 40 mins then 3 laps! :slight_smile: that’d b better than what we did 2 years ago…

nickee was on a good one with the drafting, also mayeb just flat out sprints? then just measure which riding position is more effecient?

average out 5 sprints of 200m for each position? easier to make a maximal effort repeatedly then to maintain a sub max effort over a prolonged distance.

even if you don’t get enough variability on the results you can acknowledge that in the conclusion and describe what is needed in future tests to gain more accurate results.

sorry tvm i’ve submitted my plan and as faulted as it may be I still want to give it a go.
If you guys are really curious conduct your own scientific experiment, its a great idea and nothing beats reaching your own conclusion on something.

Tom, my friend Daniel Pattie who raced casey fields last year said it was shit cause it was 4 laps and everyone sprinted, 10 people dropped out in the first ten minutes, He asked some if they wanted to group and they said wtf is that im just riding my bike. I plan on epic endo ON the finish line, thats if im last and there is no one behind me :smiley:

I was disappointed with where I placed in the race, I finished pretty bad even though I have ridden the bike twice and it was my first race. I started at the back of the mass start and the guy in front of me didn’t know how to clip so I got slowed and then I pushed and pushed but never caught up with the group at the front, grr

My experiment doesn’t work, the difference between drops and tops riding position is too little to measure accurately with the equipment that I have, I just got back and was thinking through all the other experiments you guys gave me and I think I might be able to do the drafting one cause I made a new riding buddy today, so now its just
Does drafting an opponent whilst riding a bike require less energy than when not.
sorry that the previous one failed but I spent ages trying different variations of efforts and speeds and it was always a small difference and sometimes it was tops lower because of me not having all the controls perfect.
any more tips :slight_smile: i’ll just keep plugging along

Didn’t see you there… i think i saw your bike leaning up against a colnalgo, but there was no one around it. I was up beside the coffee truck near the building. We got hammered in the race by a couple of guys who broke away. Finished 9th, but a bit pissed of cus i lead the last lap chasing down the closer breakaway and then was passed by my chase group on the line…fuck i hate gear restrictions…
:stuck_out_tongue: didnt see that endo

well done anyway, the colnago was my friends adam, best crash story of the day,.
so he is in the group and one guy near him yells “what the fuck” as another guy careens into him, he remains upright but the other guy falls and clips adam on the way, adam survives but unknowingly the crashing rider hit his brake adjuster on the way down and his brake move so it was rubbing. Adam managed to stay with the group but when everyone sprinted he couldn’t go any faster cause his brakes were on, he was so pissed.

Luky to stay up…
Did you see the kid on a hybrid crash into another guy on a roadie after the finish? that was the crash of the day 4 me. It was in novice and they wer probably sprinting for 15th , the roadie was winning and wasnt really sprinting and the guy behind him sprinted the last straight to try catchup he ended up running straight into him and cleaned him up. Me and my mates had a good laugh :lol:

It’s 30% easier for the drafting rider but interestingly it’s also 10% easier for the rider in front because they don’t have to drag the dirty air behind them.

You should be able to find a fair bit of data on the net about this if you want to fudge a good grade.

hmm, thats really interesting heatseeker, I didn’t know about the front rider using less energy, I guess I can do this. thanks, i’ll search around

heartrate varies a lot. not the best metric for this kind of testing.

I just got back and was thinking through all the other experiments you guys gave me and I think I might be able to do the drafting one cause I made a new riding buddy today, so now its just

yeah i think you’re much more likely to get a positive result, but i still think it’ll be hard unless you sit very close to the lead rider.

Does drafting an opponent whilst riding a bike require less energy than when not.

the idea is that you sit in their slipstream, and this way they do most of work overcoming the aerodynamic drag, resulting in you requiring less effort (so less energy).

sorry that the previous one failed but I spent ages trying different variations of efforts and speeds and it was always a small difference and sometimes it was tops lower because of me not having all the controls perfect.
any more tips :slight_smile: i’ll just keep plugging along

it doesn’t really matter that it didn’t work, as long as you can say why it didn’t work. in this case, the heartrate measurements were probably too noisy to allow you to notice any subtle differences due to aerodynamics. so you either need to do a huge number of test (large sample set) which might eventually show some difference, or use something else to measure the difference in work required (powermeter etc).

if heart rate isn’t good enough can you present me with an alternative. It kind of does matter that it doesn’t work because I realised after riding for a couple hours its not like I did everything right.

There’s WAY too many variables with heart rate. Watts will be the most accurate measurment.

its a science experiment right? ok, so for every 10 things you try, 1 will work. thats how it goes. if you can explain why it didn’t work, that should be plenty for your teacher (and you should still be able to score top marks), if perhaps not very satisfying for yourself.

now, alternatives… as mentioned watts are the most direct thing to measure, but i’m guessing you don’t access to the required equipment. i think the easiest thing to do is as i mentioned earlier, just roll down a hill in either riding position and measure the top speed achieved. this way your remove most variables from the testing, in particular the human component. also, any regular bike speedo that records a max speed will be fine. do this 20 times for each position (preferably alternating to cancel any wind contributions), and with a long enough descent you should definitely find a max speed difference.

a variation would be find like a 5km descent and roll all the way down in both riding positions and check for a change in time.

if someone can find me a 5 k descent, but I think i’ll try drafting,
I understand what you mean Icecream but I am still searching for some scientifical satisfaction

photos from one of the sessions

adams all like endo’s are easy

I’m like HA