Serotta to close their factories in the USA.

Understood, apologies for not being in the bicycle industry.

haha! same 'ere.

no worries.

I don’t know how half the USA builders are still going, from what I see they have huge set ups with crazy tooling and relatively cheap frames, all I can put it down to is a lower cost of living.

At this point, there’s not much to know. Barely any of the big brands give you a choice of paint!

I think you’re right. Also, lower cost of materials and workshop space there.

If our dollar was at 65 US cents it would also probably be easier to see how they make ends meet.

I’m embarrassed of how affluent Aus is at the moment and felt good sending some cash OS for a custom frame.

This, but not that you’d know it from the doom and gloom in the press. Seriously, we’re a nation of fucken Hanrahans: “we’ll all be rooned!” As a whole we’ve never had it so good. There’ll always be the battlers who struggle to pay the ciggie excise while they funnel their kids lunch money into the pokies, but yeh, Australia just has an embarrassment of riches at the moment.

Journalism is going down the shitter due to their terrible business practices, ergo they are projecting that onto the wider economy.

Yep, as I mentioned in the shitfight of a thread.

what do ya mean? that thread was great. i got daily updates on o-rings.

And why is that (according to TT/ACA) that FOOD is the first thing to get skimped on when budgets are tight?
several times a year I hear the line, “families are skipping meals”. Bullshit. They should be one of the last things to go when budgets are tight. A decent meal can be cooked for only a few $ per person. That’s the cost of a 2L coke, a beer or a large chips at maccas.
Fucking TT/ACA
/rant

not just TT and ACA, this is from our amazing shadow treasurer, joe hockey:
“It is going to increase the cost of living for smokers but smokers could be pensioners, low-income people, it could be smokes and beers might be the thing that is important to them.”

:frowning:

Is it possible for a company to produce American-made bikes anymore? Serotta has been making bikes in America since 1972, specializing in custom Ti and carbon frames, but found themselves unable to stay in the black without outsourcing production overseas. Serotta has announced that they are closing their Saratoga Springs, NY factory once they finish their current orders. They’ve already closed their California facility. Serotta stuck to their roots, making everything in the U.S. as long as they could, but found themselves unable to pay their employees. Serotta combined with Blue and Mad Fiber in June to create Divine Cycling Group and hopes the closing with be a temporary restructuring

and Ben Serotta outed also

Bike maker shifts gears - Times Union

From personal experience, some people will spend all their money on cigarettes and not food.

natural selection.

Is this the arsehole thread??

Nah, just talking about my job.

I think a lot of the gfc was and still is media driven, they say the economy is bad, people stop spending, money dries up, jobs cut and you then end up with a real gfc.

In Australia this is pretty much the case, at least at the moment.
As for the rest of the world, the GFC was indeed a VERY real thing. The USA fucked itself with the sub-prime thing and that had massive flow-ons which are still being felt. And US banks have just started back into sub-prime lending, as if nothing happened in '08.
Then there’s the Eurozone, which is also completely fucked. Eg Greece with a massive welfare state and a tax-avoidance culture that has basically bankrupted the whole country for generations. Same in Spain and Portugal. Ireland isn’t any better off either, having given multinationals huge tax breaks through the boom times only to have them pack up and leave as soon as things dried up a little.

But yeh, here in Australia the media needs to pull its head out of its arse and see the ridiculous levels of prosperity we have. Too much spin to try and make the political parties look bad, it just ends up making the public think they’re having a shit time.

But fuck, can’t believe Serotta’s closing ey.