Shimano Deore 9 Speed Hollowtech Triple Crank

I need a granny ring on my cross check and seeing that I would need to change the BB as well, I thought why not get a new and better crank all together. The Shimano Deore 9 Speed is going pretty cheap and even includes a BB. Is anyone using this crank together with the BB provided and is happy or unhappy with it? The BB is supposed to be pretty crap (according to reviews) and I’m wondering if I shouldn’t even use it if going for the crank.

I had one on my touring/cx bike for touring, was fine. (think it was the 46/36/24 one or the trekking model)

BB was fine, might as well use it and just replace once it wears out.

Very good value, DS arm and spider is one piece.

Now I’m more into a super-compact double, 39-24t on my CX, better/simpler shifting, lower q factor (using a road triple with no big ring), and same gearing at the low end, I barely used the 48t (or mebbe it was a 46T), 39x11t gets me up into the mid forties. Means I use more of the cassette too.

The bottom bracket will be a un26 which will last for about a year or two under constant use. Then purchase a un55 which is the upgrade or a phil wood

ah, I think those are square taper BB’s, he’s talking about a hollowtech ext. crankset.

Shimano Deore external BBs are fine, as MikeD says just ride it till it breaks

Where is this cheap price?

I’m thinking about doing the same on my 29er.

Chain Reaction sells it for $85, thats cheap for me for what you get.

I try to look into other options as well as I dont really like triple cracks. I’d be all in for an even simpler drivetrain for my next built. I hardly use the 48er as the bike is pre dominantly riden in the dirt and spend most of the time on the 36 so I might even stick with 2 rings on the front if I find smaller ones. I’m not doing to bad without the small ring in the front (a 26er maybe) but I will firstly tour around NZ (South Island) in November and secondly did find climbs where I had to push the bike (only one so far but still they are out there).

What cranks do you have at the moment?

Thanks for the message Mike and I will think about that option.

I’m running the stock cranks from Surly with 48/36 rings. They look good and do the job otherwise. I also had a closer look at the Deore Triple Cranksets (as I remembered that they are on my GF tourer) and they are the ugliest piece of crank I’ve ever seen. Meaning they are out for now.

You could keep an eye out for some ‘vintage’ 110/74 bcd MTB cranks on ebay, they come up reasonably regularly also at swap meets, then you’ll only need a 74bcd ring, and probably a new BB.

Sugino XD600 or those vintage Ritchey Logic triples are nice.

or the new option for more money

Buy Sugino OX601D Road Bike Crankset For Shimano 9 10s 172.5mm 46-30 | CD

Never even seen this Sugino before but looks and reads like just what I want. I could spend most of the time in the 46er outer ring and go to the 30 when I need to. I can even customize the combination to my liking. Seriously thinking about getting it. The only thing that stops me is the price but oh well if it works.

Price on these is very cheap for what it is.

Just buy 'em. Look at the OX801d for a really spendy version (shiny, that’s it).

I have MikeD’s old 801d’s, they take shimano (and CK) standard BB cups, easily available 110/74 rings, easy to setup a mid ring for 90% of the time and a bailout little ring for climbing.

Narrower Q than the triples you were looking at too.

White industries. Choose whatever size rings you want. Reckon I’m going to get a set for my cross check and they look badass.

I really rate WI hubs highly.

Their cranks and especially the BB’s not so much (if at all).

If you’re going to spend WI type $$$ then look at Middleburn cranks.
Removeable spider & lots of ring options.
I’ve got a set of those Sugino ox601d from that ebay seller, but not installed yet.
Look the goods & ‘standard’ external BB so Hope or Chris King upgrade an option.

The WI looks the shit I know but they come much pricier than the Suginos and the ox601 seem to be proven to be very reliable. I’m almost settled on the Suginos and dont think I’ll get them any cheaper than through above link. The 46/30 is basically the exact combination I was looking for.

…just did, thanks guys!