single speed from hard rubbish and spares

why not assemble a cup and the bearings and top race and see if it fouls. likewise a cup and the bearings and the fork crown race.

easy to see which combo is right without hammering into the frame. (long threaded rod, washers, nuts will do it better for cheap)

Set time machine to 2005 indeed.

Well i just looked at your picture from 2 pages ago, and it looks like the taller cup is on the bottom of the headtube, and the shorter cup at the top. can only assume it was assembled correctly before.

Your spot on … Good point

Got my head set right , now to tighten up the nut . I never how much to tighten here , one smart advice was to " Do the nut up until it spins freely …then back it off half a turn " I’ve never tried it …but some how I don’t thinks it’s good advice …lol

Ok now bottom brackets , I notice on one of the shafts was a bit rough or not spinning freely. Closer inspection , it’s pitted badly so I’ll use the other one . I don’t know why this has happen , could be a few reasons , poor steel , maybe on the chain ring crank side or dirt has got in , water getting in while bike was left in the rain for years .

Oh man …I alway get confused here , but I’ll work it out . I checked inside make sure no chrome was peeling off and if it was …I don’t have any others to use , so in it goes :)…darn … Left hand thread always gets me ( I didn’t realize until I had twisted 25 times )

wow …look what I’ve found , atully I’m very lucky , my good girlfriend has donated her bike to me . It was a female spec ceil walker road bike . She has had it since the 1980’s and the problem is that it is soooo out of date and heavy compared to her new tiagra componatry carbon fork road bike . I restored it for her a few years ago and it looked great . Although the ride isn’t very good and a hour in the saddle you just want to get off . So I’m robbing some better parts off it to put onto my hard rubbish crapper …lol . I’ll still keep the ceil walker frame and gear as maybe in 2000 years time my great grand children can get 20 cents for it …Hahahaa :slight_smile:

Bottom bracket: just get a cheap cartridge one. It’ll last forever and you’ll never have to think about it again.

Chainline is something to consider with bottom brackets if you weren’t aware. The spindle length might be too long on the original bottom bracket if you’re converting it to a single speed. This was the case for one of my project bikes. I wanted to keep as much original gear as possible but I’m glad I went with a new bb, much better in the end. Sheldon Browns page (All About Bicycle Chainline) is a goldmine of useful information on this stuff, or FOA or course.

Your right …and normally I do …this time it’s tight ass timmey and I’m building with doner bikes .

Thanks Nereus , yes I was aware of the chain line , but it did catch me out once on anther build . That’s why I did a mock up to see of every thing was aligned right . Thank you for the tread on sheldon Brown too , I’ve been to his web site offen and haven’t even read 10 % of all of his wonderful information . Keep a look out on my thread here as I’m going to attack my chain line and rear sprocket soon .

frame done , now it’s times for wheels , and some sort of free wheel on the back . Cause I’m a tight ass on this project , I’m going to make my own free wheel live been riding for weeks on my road bike keeping it in one gear live found 2 that would suit me and my style of riding . Now I don’t know what every body works in for a ratio but I just divide the smaller cog into the larger one and get my ratio like that . Please tell me if this is a faulty method . The ratios on my road bike have a lot do decimal points so I’ll keep them simple . I feel a 2.75 ratio is a sweet spot , but after a hour of riding it can get hard . If your strong and have big legs I would say 2.9 or 3.0 would be for you . I’m pretty casual with my riding and I don’t want a ‘job’ of riding and want to keep it fun and a ratio of 2.6 suited me fine . Please note I’m talking about bike path and fairly level ground too .

ok , so to get my single free wheel on the rear , I killed a cluster …poor cluster … took it apart , even the cogs too , and picked out a 20 tooth sprocket and rebuilt it just with the 20 and left the rest out .so now I have one sprocket . I was thinking of having 2 , say a 20 and a 22 but I don’t think I’m going to be pulling up on the side of the road , undoing my rear wheel , putting a greasy chain over to anther sprocket just for shits n giggles . I’ve got riding to do and can’t be stuffed :slight_smile: …besides chain leanth may be a issue too . Maybe might work well with small gears such as 16/17 the chain may only need to be tension with a minor pull back on the wheel ,any way I’ll play with it one day and find out .
BTW …I don’t know yet if this is going to work ???..could end in a sprayed free wheel of death all over a bike path some where in the future :mad::smiley:

Gee…hope this works and I’m not left 20 km away from home and a cluster vomited all over the road … but it will be funny if it happens :slight_smile: . I’ve got my 20 tooth cog all fitted , now time to see if the chain alines up with the chain ring or else I’ve just done all of this for nothing . Any way I did check in the mock up , and it’s running a bit out , so I’ll either swap the bottom bracket around , or …I don’t know what . I can pack the cog by 10 mm one way and play with the chain ring by swapping on each side of the spider ( hope it’s called that someone may need to correct me )

Yes …yes …ok I know …ok no need to yell , I did put the chain ring on the wrong side , my bad

Oops …thought I checked this in the mock up , and even went for a ride . Now I think about it , it was with an 18 tooth cog and it was over more on the spline . The spline has a step so you just can’t use any cog any where on the splines range . I’ll have a play with it later on . I may have to go a taller gear like a 18 tooth . I wish I could go to a 19 but the 19 I found in the shed was on a very old sun tour cluster and didn’t look that great in quality . The Shimano one , even though it was off a kmart mountain bike , had much better machining , problem is it’s gears that I needed were either 18 or 20 . Any way 20 is the one I wanted , so I’ll try it out as a small amount of chain twist maybe ok . I did build one with a big chain twist and it ended in a timmey splatted in his drive way when the chain came off …wasn’t a good look …lol :slight_smile:

I got the chain situation sorted out , it’s a bit out but not much . Put the wheels on , old school alloy rims with a 'ceil walker 'stamp on them and white wall tyres to top them off . Now it’s almost a rolling chassis just a seat and bars to go

Got this old head stem of the doner bike , it’s cool , I love this old school alloy stuff . It’s simple in it’s design . I used a old seat I found in the garage and put a bit of semi gloss black on the seat post to hide the many years of sliding up and down . Brake is on , just rears here …and yep they are crap . Throwing out a sausage as a anchor would Proberly have the same effect . Today’s V’brakes are so easy and well designed and have spoilt me .

Bike is now complete and running and made up from 4 bikes .I lowered the handle bar stem as it was very twitchy . I’ve done 25 km on it all ready and it’s ok …still handles bad , and because I’ve used rubbish parts , there are a few creaks and moans …lol , oh well that’s a hard rubbish bike for free !! I did change the gearing to a bigger cog on the rear 21 tooth . Just to make it a bit more bike path friendly . So it brings it closer to a 2.5 ratio . I feel a 2.6 or 2.75 ,would be better, but I don’t have the balls for it , and rather a fun ride than hell . Anther thing I did was add a front brake … Yes someone told me I should have , and I did …insted of braking 3 km before I have too …now with the old fashion crap side pulls and even crapper pads …I now can now choose to pull the brake on 1 km before I have too …lol :slight_smile: …gee I love V brakes . Thank you all for looking and thank you to the mods for helping with uploading my pictures .

Timmey

This is actually a nice bike, and a nice result - the pride of 2008 and a shitload better than what most of us cobbled together as out first fixxxays

You did good Timmey. I also enjoy how this entire thread is like a personal monologue that I have read in the voice of Timmey from southpark the entire time.