Sleeping set ups

In laws don’t have baking scales in the kitchen?

I reckon 2.5kg all up

Don’t stress my BA tent has done heaps (50+ nights?) and its fine.

I’ve worn out tents over the years and the floor always goes first, even with fairly heavy duty ones. Now I pretty much always use a groundsheet on my tents. But whether not using a groundsheet is going to be a problem for you depends upon how much you think you’ll use it and where/when you’ll use it.

It was an issue for me when I used to do a lot of outdoor stuff (about 100 nights a year), but it still remains an issue for me with the tents I expect to use in the snow or in bog or in regions/seasons where rain is certain (eg SW Tassie in winter). It’s less of an issue with the ultralight tent I use cycling because it’s not a tent I’m likely to be using in particularly awful conditions where I really don’t want my sleeping bag to get wet.

I should say, another handy reason for packing your various bits in various drybags is that the drybags make good floor tiles when your floor starts soaking through. Keeps your sleeping bag from getting wet around the edges of your sleeping mat.

I also just picked up the final pieces.

[ul]
[li]Jack Wolfskin Gossamer bivvy (bought off someone here)[/li][li]Big Agnes Q-core SL long mummy[/li][li]Enlightened Equipment Revelation -6 Downtekk long and wide[/li][li]silk liner[/li][li]no pillow yet. I’m thinking of just stuffing a small dry sack.[/li][/ul]

I’ll take pics when I get the opportunity.

I’ve hear that polycryo window heat shrink stuff makes for a good ground sheet. Apparently it’s very light and strong.

Having said that, I always used a ground sheet with my MSR Hubba Hubba cos I was scared of tears, but the main advantage of it was that I could setup the tent really easily without the inner, cos the ground sheet had holes for the poles. I don’t use a ground sheet now with my Tarptents. I just try to be careful.

Size is spot on… No need for bigger, I reckon well set up it could fit 3-4 people easily for a day shelter, 2-3 for bad weather depending on your pitch.

I haven’t had to sit out any storms yet, time will tell.

Speak to Evan at terra Rosa for a groundsheet. The floor always goes first, and will be the first spot you stake if your forced to set up on less than idea ground.

Had a couple of chilly but not feezing nights in winter family tent over the weekend. Was trying to vent as much as possible and ended up having the dew point on the surface of my sleeping bag, ie, top of bag was wetting through pretty badly… Got really bad on the second night which mightve been a bit colder, so i closed everything on the inner tent up to keep it warm incase bag totally stopped lofting. Woke up 5 hours later with warm, dry bag and all was good! I guess warming the inner tent meant the dew point was then between the inner and fly, rather than on my sleeping bag? The inner was dry, too… Very happy!

Out in blue mountains over the weekend in new tent six moons designs lunar solo. Awesome tent! Way lighter, quicker to put up and bigger than old nemo go go. Warm enough and not too wet with high vent.

Other bits of kit include Nemo inflatable mat which I forgot to take, bivvy sack thing in army green, Mont down winter bag. Set up reasonably light for bike and hike trips.

• joel

Talk to me about dew point…
I’ve got an Enlightened bag and small bivvy. How do I avoid moisture???

Don’t breathe

Try to keep your sleeping space well ventilated. Although, a big guy in a small bivvy, it might be hard. It will also depend on how breathable is your bivvy’s fabric.

When you set up your bivvy try to have the inner not being in contact with the outer, there must be enough space between the inner and outer for air to circulate freely. If your inner has some parts in mesh it’s good.

Another solution is to not zip up the door of your bivvy. Not always ideal.

Noted. I’ll start practicing

tangent, has anyone tried this? Sourced it from where?

enviroshop in n’cote has it, Duck brand and 3M brand. But deals to be had on UK ebay. Also “clearcomfort” film available online, supposedly outdoor rated and longer lasting.

Keen to give it a shot before I go full liberty bunker with double glazing.

Am tossing up exactly these two tents at the moment! Can you give a more detailed comparison? Did you have the gogo elite, or the standard gogo? You weren’t a fan of the inflatable centre channel in the gogo? How small does the lunar solo pack down? I like the gogo elite because it fits in a 1L water bottle which can go on an anything cage.

Replace bivvy with ventilated tent. Don’t camp near creeks/lakes.

Nemo is an older Gogo EX (2009), the bigger one with vestibule. It weighs about 1500g with pegs. I found it slumped in the centre and got my bag wet. Also, I need to be able to kneel or sit up to get changed and move around and the Nemo was too low, need to shuffle in and out like a caterpillar. Whenever I use a light tent I have biked/hiked in and am NOT feeling spry or flexible.

Lunar solo is light (about 850g with pegs/pole/groundsheet), modular (can pack pole separately so it doesn’t rub through the other materials) and with addition of a tyvek ground sheet has a nice verandah. It’s very long for tall people, could sleep two people if needed with gear left outside. I’m keen to get out in it a bit more.

The Lunar solo will probably fit into an anything cage with the pole and maybe pegs separate. They’ll go into my handlebar roll wrapped in the ground sheet so they don’t rub on sleeping bag etc.

• Joel

You dont… Big part of the reason I went with a synthetic quilt.
Part of my job is balancing dew points, humidty and temperature. Without a screen in front of me giving the readout outs its to hard.

EE prodigy quilt -1, exped synmatUL7 tarp and merino thermals. Beanie and neck/face warmer.
Tested over the weekend to aprox 3 degrees. 92% humidty with heavier rain patches.
Tarp kept me dry, thankfuly leeches weren’t on the prowl.
Wouldn’t want much colder… Whevenever I rolled over, I let out a puff of heat and it must of been enough to wake me, would cinch the quilt back in and fall back comfortably. Admittedly it was only camping with mates so the day involved beer, fire and drums.

Did you use the EE elastic straps?