Soft shell jacket advice

Thoughts on this?

Merino Soft Shell Jacket Men’s | Merino | Mens | Macpac

I know its not a cycle specific soft shell but its merino soft shell (less likely to stink and good temp regulation). Prob not cut that low in the back either.

I have a SIS jacket, pretty happy with it.

I picked up one of these Pearl Izumi soft shells on Amazon for about $100 instead of $180.
*The zip off sleeves are a great idea!

Outerwear

So i am coming down to melbourne for a week in June to ride,
How prepared should i be, Over boots, Full gloves, base layer, arm and leg warmers, ear warmer,.
Gillet or should i add a soft shell jacket in as well?

I dont own one and am thinking of getting one of the rapha ones and may be he brevet pack.

anybody have a search and state S1-J Riding Jacket? I’m thinking of getting that or a Rapha Rain Jacket for winter.

Bring all that, but be prepared to shed it all when the sun comes out. It is Melbourne weather after all.

I have yet to hear any owners of that rain jacket complain about it (in fact i know a few rapha haters who secretly admit to owning it and rate it).

search and state jerseys get a good review from people as well.

so the rapha jacket is actually worth $375???

anyone got a discount code?!?! haha

I’ve been using a Ground Effect Draft Dodger for a few seasons and it’s excellent in the wind-proof, avoiding the freezing cold department. But it doesn’t stay dry very well and does turn into a sweat box. It’s also too bulky to fit in a jersey. Generally awesome for commuting and getting around town. But pretty bad if you’re pushing it hard up a hill.

Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing

I used my rapha rain jacket for a winter of commuting in melbs and then in canada. It’s great (breathable, waterproof, light) but expensive and only good for riding due to the cut/fragility (some other rain jackets can do double duty). I wouldn’t say it’s worth $375, maybe if you hunted around you could find a product that performs at 90% and doesn’t look as nice for a lot less.

for anyone lucky enough to fit

BNA - Australian Cycling Forums • View topic - [VIC] Black Rapha Softshell Jacket

Just saw this and sent a pm.
It’s my size too, thanks

Just got one of these… 2xu sub zero jacket for $60… cheap!

Sale on 2XU Sub Zero Cycle Jacket | 2XU Outlet

lots of other good sales on there atm

Thanks bro, I just scored some bib shorts for $30!!

Some of those jackets looked good, pity I don’t need one.

Yeah I considered the same jacket as above, but I don’t really need it. But man they are cheap!

Yea i ended up with 3 jackets and gloves :S

wanted bib shorts but they were weird sizes

I don’t really need it, but tried to buy it anyway, because $60 is ridiculous. But item now out of stock. Bah.

#foamafia took all the spoils

was tempted by the softshell jacket (so cheap) but will stick to a more general use / casual looking softshell for commuting and a vest/armwarmers/baselayer combo for more ‘serious’ riding

Those Izumi jackets, like I posted above, are great! Left the other morning in 5 degs with only a jersey underneath and stayed toasty without boiling.

Sleeves are a bit long and loose, but otherwise is good.