Soft shell jacket advice

If somthing is waterproof it’s going to make you sweat up bad unless it is sub zero I would think.
I get very hot while riding at 10 deg I’m happy in a kit with ATM and knee warmers sub 10 I need an unde shirt and somthing on my ears or head

Pretty much you can have one or the other… I’ll take warm over dry any day. Any thing properly waterproof is impossible to ride in at tempo with out winding up wet from sweat.

You’d prefer to ride in garbage bag?

True, but it’s still important to have a proper waterproof bad boy in your arsenal. The majority of the of the time, a soft shell is going to be perfect and anything more will see you wetting up from the inside out… but if you’re staring down a long rainy day in the saddle with no hope of sunshine, goretex is a godsend.

This. Out of interest with this soft shell jacket can you still fold it up into your jersey pocket if you need?

Most softshell deals will roll up small enough to be stored in a jersey pocket without issue - a couple of rubber bands, velco, or small loop of shockcord (sourced from marine shops) helps keep them small and tightly packed.

If I’m out in my goretex and I get too warm, I roll it up and velco it to the down tube of my frame

Wiggle has some assos on sale atm. Tempting but to use the phrase du jour, very MAMIL

Wiggle | Assos AirJack 851 Windproof Jacket Cycling Windproof Jackets

extra massive though???

Looks good and great price, but for up in Syndey, windproof = sweat bomb.

I have a great Giordana, windproof jacket, but it’s only good for <5 degrees or to stop windchill in winter. It’s just too bulletproof for heavy riding.

I have one of these I picked up while in the UK:

Montane Shell Photon Jacket for Men

It’s amazing. windproof, waterproof breathable, thin and lightweight and comes with a little sack to stuff it in that packs down as small as an apple. You have to wash it with tech wash now and then to keep up the waterproofing.

I also have a gore-tex swrve hoodie that’s only good if it’s sleeting/snowing with just a baselayer underneath. I think Perth is too warm for this jacket somehow…

Not a softshell I know, but I just picked one of these up, for $60, through their ebay store. It’s a 3 layer jacket, rated at 10k for waterproof and breathability. Packs down into a jersey pocket too. Used it in the rain last week on a 100k+ ride and it was great! For the price you can’t beat it.

Mens Vapor Cycling Jacket

FWIW: I usually take Med but bought a Small - just right.

I have a Nemesis softshell. It is awesome.

Personally I think the Rapha softshells look pox with the asymmetric zip… like some throw back to when chinese collars were (briefly) in fashion in late 90s.
And Baiki, that jacket might be good for an NJS walker but a hood on a riding jacket?! GTFO.

The best jackets I’ve had were Gore ones. If I was getting a new softshell I’d get a Phantom SO.

I dunno I kinda like the rapha one I have heard a lot of good things about it, they are out of stock of the yellow one in xxl until mid july though. Just don’t see the point of a black jacket when you are up at 515 riding in the dark

I’ve been riding the shit outa mine and it makes getting up at 5.15 in the fucking cold totally enjoyable. When I first got it I was excited about mornings that were cold enough to make it worth busting out.

You don’t really use it like a jacket it’s more of a long sleeve jersey, I prey much always wear a merino base with it.
If I didn’t have it I’d be using a short sleeve jersey, thick armwarmers, a base layer and a gillet under the same conditions

They run a bit on the small side too… Im a medum in all my other rapha gear but had to get a large in the proteam jacket.

I gotta say, with the early morning riding I’ve been doing, I’m leaning towards a soft shell myself. Layering up (like SK said) is a bit of a pain when you could chuck one thing on over a base layer.

Worth checking Amazon at the moment. I just picked up a Pearl Izumi softshell at 40% off and they only charged me $9 for postage. There’s some pretty good deals to check out.

Bumping this up as it’s kind of on topic and winter is coming up…

My sugoi jacket has lost most of it’s waterproofing. Have been told to use everthing from a grangers waterproofing wash, to throwing it in the dryer for 15 minutes on low.

Is anyone here in the know on these things? I keep putting the wrong things into google.

i got a rapha rain jacket end of last winter on sale ( 40% off ) only problem with it i have is its cream… ride on a grotty wet road and you’ll have to spot clean it in the shower when your done…
it fucking rocks though…
i road through the RNP last year in solid drizzle , climbing hills and shit…
keep me dry and i didn’t swelter which if i remember righty is the point of such a jacket.

it’s packable and weighs nothing at all. works really well at keeping the wind from slicing you to pieces on a fast mountain descent in winter too.

totally looking forward to this winter when i get to rock out my proteam jacket and the rain jacket in earnest, also looking forward to my cashmere/silk kimono winter hat and merino arm/leg warmers from last season

I’ve found the waterproofing wash to be very effective. The dryer helps it ‘set’ better (rather than a slow air dry somewhere humid/damp). It’s not a permanent solution but it does bring it back to life… (many popular online bicycle retailers sell waterproofing washes/sprays for quite cheap too :wink: )