SPD commute shoes

Lifting the shoes too high off the cleat might give you the movement I think you’re referring to. Higher COG and all that, and the SPD are a really small contact patch to start with. Maybe a thinner shim so that the sole just touches the pedal body and doesn’t dig in so much?

in the past I’ve always just let the cleat dig right into the shoe, doesn’t really matter I find.

unrelated to your float issue, but anyone else’s cleats make a shit ton of noise with giro rumbles?? only my right foot though…

I’d describe it as rocking. When clipped in, I can tilt my foot to the outside and inside of the pedal a small amount. I.e. rotation around the toes to heel axis.
It’s the front of the pedal rubbing on the shoe sole, not the cleat.

Might go play with the shoes and pedals a bit more tomorrow to see what’s up.

Yep, for about the last 1000km. Keep forgetting to see what’s up until next time I get on the bike…

yeah, it’s fkn annoying & i’m yet to figure out the cause. i just put a drop of chain lube on the cleat & pedal once a fortnight… haha

I had to grease the shit out of the cleat bolts on my Giro privateers. Super creaky for a while, but the grease did the trick.

will try this! thanks maaaaate! #TRB

So figured out the side to side rocking is actually the cleat on the body of the pedal. When the cleat is clicked into the pedal, there is a tiny gap between the cleat and the pedal. It’s not caused by a spacer.

Perhaps other people’s shoes contact the pedal enough that this doesn’t matter? Or maybe the cleats are just worn?

IMG_20190425_115106394