Spin class

I’m sure some people on this forum have been to a spin class before or can shed some light about the effectiveness of spinning classes.

Some basic questions to start off with:

-Are spin classes aimed at cyclists or people trying to do general exercise?
-Does attending spinning classes assist or impede real world cycling ability?
-Is there something that you will gain from spinning class that you can’t gain from real world cycling?
-Does spinning class improve the muscles function somehow? If so, how?

Any ideas or opinions (even if you don’t really know that much) appreciated!
:mrgreen:

I do the occasional spin class when I’m travelling for work or on hols.

They’re a lot like sex - all sweaty and noisy and some chick in charge tellin’ me I’m doin’ it wrong…

More seriously though:

-Are spin classes aimed at cyclists or people trying to do general exercise?
they are for other people, haven’t done one yet that was as hard as my daily commute when the northerly’s up

-Does attending spinning classes assist or impede real world cycling ability?
no, but they will keep your legs turning over if you otherwise can’t get to your bike

-Is there something that you will gain from spinning class that you can’t gain from real world cycling?
no

-Does spinning class improve the muscles function somehow? If so, how?
not as much as spinning up your fixie in a 60" gear will improve your muscle function

You won’t get pulled over for not having a bell. You won’t get a car door opened onto you. You won’t run into any pedestrians. People might talk to you. You won’t be the only one in lycra. Nobody will steal your bike.

But you still won’t get anywhere.

i have a mate who does spin class once a week as he can’t ride as much as he used to

based on riding with him and his race results i would say he is stronger on the bike than he used to be but does about 400km a week less riding

this is a spin class where you take your own bike and they hook it up to a trainer etc though, not down at the local gym on some terrible machine

Basically other people have summed it up nicely: spin classes are good for someone who is time-poor. Like my director, he takes a spin class three mornings a week because he can only get out on the bike on weekends.

i do a spin class once every couple of weeks, i dont find that it helps my riding at all, but is a good way to get fit

I often walk past the room at my gym where there’s a people of people doing spin classes.
To be honest, most of them look like noobs, and the room freaking reeks of humid noob sweat. Honestly, I could not see myself doing it with that kind of setup- at least have a properly ventilated room or be outside…
I imagine if you just didn’t have the time, spin classes might be worth doing, but geeze it looks SO boring.

The better option would be to do an ergo session instead. Check our places like ridewiser for more info. I’ve never sat on a ergo before, but I hear there good.

I have however done a bit of spinning with a ‘trainer’ and as a generalisation, I’d say there is the chance you could do more harm that good with some of the methods they employ. The trainer I had wasn’t a cyclist and it was quite apparent.

That’s sort of what I was getting at - your ‘gym’ spin class is usually run by aerobics instructor types that aren’t cyclists. Like Stk says you’re better off getting an ergo session with a cycling coach or working to an interval program on a stationary trainer or rollers.

A good interval session is always going to do well for you though. I guess it’s more about knowing how to structure it to reap the most benefits.

thanks everyone, for all the replies and advice.

Are you single and interested in meeting ‘fit’ girls?!?

:wink:

it could help in that department.

Thanks, u just sealed the deal. I’m going when I get a chance this week. Especially with this weather.

:wink:

Better now.

I did a class the other week, it was a killer workout, kinda like riding up a hill for 45 mins, without the incline feeling. Would def build up your stamina thats for sure. When you’re on the road and tired you can slow down whenever you want, where as in the class you can’t stop, kinda like having a coach yell at you to keep going.
Not comparable to real cycling, but would build up your fitness to help your cycling for sure.

I did a few classes a couple of years ago on those fixed gear bikes they use in some spin classes with the knob below the handlebars (that’s the knob on the bike not me) that you twist to increase the resistance.

Like Bumnut said its a tough workout controlled to a certain extent by the amount of resistance you voluntarily apply but the thing that put me the most off was that I didn’t trust that I could get my ‘setup’ right. Accordingly I thought the risk of rooting your knees etc (current favorite topic) was high (and I did in fact suffer some trouble after one or two sessions).

Rollers on the other hand - far more fun.

SW

I love that we’ve got a good climb on the doorstep of the city here in Brissie (Mt Cootha). Great for exactly the reason stated above, there is no slacking off! And the shame of walking or turning around is just too great! Easily completed in under an hour as well which makes it a great way to start the morning. Never fails to get my heart pumping, legs burning and stomach churning!

Sam’s SPIN ROOM in Northcote is tops.

Just like track, you are guaranteed to sweat, meet new people, and stay dry.

What did people do before forums? JUST DO IT.