SRAM Red 11-speed

i have to admit, campag is fucking nice, i just hate the thumb shifters

It’s been done by Firefly already. Possibly the most pretentious commuter of all time:

or you could just palp the alfine di2

di2 alfine is the way forward

Sure, but you race and train. The overwhelming majority don’t and don’t wish to. They want a nice bike with good quality parts and are just rolling around. Sunday rides, recreational and just chatting with mates or commuting or using their bike to get around. Some still push hard and ride long miles but they’re not racing and sure as heck don’t need 11-21 straight blocks or 119" gears (50 x 11 … on a 700/x25c). Given most people are usually riding in the middle of a cassette it only means they’re replacing cassette’s far more then they should be doing or having a few gears that aren’t as crisp as the others. That doesn’t mean should the suffer low grade gear.

A nice well finished, refined groupset with all the advances of modern components (and there’s always advancements) with a few less gears that are built to last a little longer, require less maintenance and are less likely to to skip, rub, miss and ghost shift isn’t such an unreasonable ask.

I hear it all the time from manufacturers about how the new cogs last longer, then new chains are made of tougher materials and have longer service life and how chainrings have been improved. In reality and from servicing these bikes I see the parts wearing out just as quick if not more or the riders are enduring a drop off in function and keeping the parts in use longer. And it costs. None of us are poor but imo there’s better things to spend money on … like $200+ pro level tubulars !!!

I really love all the new gear. It mostly works very well whether Campy, Shimano or SRAM but … all of them drop off a little in their shifting function and drivetrain smoothness quite quickly, sometimes in as little as 1500-2000km’s and chains can be toast as soon as 3,000km’s. This just plain sucks and too few people are willing to admit it.

Yeah Fair call,
I think my c record last gen is my favorite 8 speed brifter group, and 10 speed i hate to admit it is the 7800 group i put on dads Tommasini,

He swears it’s a 10 times nicer bike to ride than his big dollar Sram equipped Cannondale evo.

The problem is the Tommasini is a lot less practical and even more so with the weather lately.

If you’re having gear problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and my Red shifting ain’t one.

I love the thumb shifters!! Being able to shift up when you’re in the drops with a flick of your thumb is fantastic. My new bike has Ultegra (which shifts great) but I’d swap it over to Campag if I could afford to. You need gorilla hands for Shimano levers.

Shimano launching something soon that will shit on this

12?

Probs gonna shimergo the fuck outta my commuter. Come at me passion.

Didnt they already do this last year?

We have pictures:

Those brifters are horrible. Actual calipers look good.

Yeah, calipers look awesome.

When I saw hydro, I immediately thought hyrdo shifting, which got me excited. I think that would be worth getting on/a real point of difference. Does anyone know if the acros system is still heaps quicker than the new electronic stuff? I guess it would be. Quicker gear shifts (that are also more resistant to wear/dont need charging) are proper functional, one more gear isnt… to me.

I have to say, MTB or road, i assume SRAM is rubbish/bottom of the heap. Too many people who work on heaps of bikes agree that its rubbish.

Maybe Sanko will come back with a 6 speed hyrdraulic Procyon group (integrate master cylinders into groove in custom bars so no bulgy stuff is mutilating lever design… keep it classy) that weighs exactly 6/11 the weight of DA9000 and shifts twice as fast and lasts twice as long.

Can cycling components get any uglier?

I assume a SRAM tattoo is included in the asking price?

The other issue is that of all the components SRAM makes, their Avid hydraulic brakes are generally known to be awful (my Elixirs were CRRAPPP).

At least the hydro-brifters are meant to have sweet modulation:

SRAM Red 22 With Disc Calipers - First Ride Review - BikeRadar

My elixirs are fiddly and a little noisy but work fine - they are a pain to bleed when compared to shimano stuff though.

I like the Sram MTB gears as much if not more than shimano stuff personally. The double thumb is nicer to use than the dual release on shimano shifters but that is MTB.

But this is road and that 11 spd hydro looks terrible and does anyone here actually lack modulation on decent sram/campag/shimano/other road callipers? - or even power? (except in the wet)

Just seems like an arms race “we had hydro 1st”.

isn’t that everything, everywhere tho…?

I do want discs. Need? Well I’m not sure it goes that far.

If it’s wet out I’m probably riding in it. Have had a few ‘this is gonna hurt’ moments where I’ve squeezed the lever to little effect. So discs win in that regard, but it has been a long time since such a moment and its really only when commuting.

Modulation wise, rims are ok. Wouldnt mind reduced lever effort though. On the drops, one or two fingers is enough. Hoods however I usually go three, and if I need to stop in a hurry it’s hard work. I do have smaller hands than most.

Would like to ride with some fancy carbon wheels too, but won’t with rim brakes. Currently seem to get a bit over 18months out of an alloy rim, can’t see carbon doing any better. Of course carbon wheels come back to that whole ‘need’ thing…

Very subjective, but I prefer them aesthetically even with those ungodly levers. And they’re new, exciting 'n stuff.

Don’t think anyone really needs electronic shifting either, but I’d like that someday too.