SS CX - options?

Another option to find in the second hand market… Kona Major One.

I ride one (never raced CX on it) and being the only CX bike I have ridden I can’t really give any comparisons. I got mine for for a bargain price brand new. I rode it last night for the first time in a long time due to my seized bearings, and I have to say I love the damn thing. It’s not as ‘pretty’ as a lot of the other bikes that have been mentioned, but I feel that it would be a good bike to look for. It may take a while to track one down though.

Here is a review.

´Cross Bike Review: Kona Major One Singlespeed Cyclocross - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

Here is an older pic of mine.

For what it’s worth I love my All City Nature Boy. Picked it up cheap second hand. The dropouts haven’t busted yet, when they do it’ll get solid one’s and a fresh powder coat.

Mine does commuter duties daily and DDCX duties for a couple of races a year. It’s comfortable enough that I’d have no qualms taking it out for an all day ride if the route was mostly flat. The geo seems pretty bang on to me.

Your brake selection may decide your frame selection. I wanted canti’s. Cable operated discs suck balls and road hydro isn’t yet mature enough, or cheap enough for me. My Shorty Ultimates are unreal, especially matched with Sram carbon levers. In the wet they are still ok but I expect them to be better once I swap the pads out for salmons.

As mine is a primarily a commuter it had to have mudguard mounts too. If you drive as soon as a few drops of rain fall, this isn’t a problem. On the same note, discs are heavy and pointless if you’re not riding in the wet/mud.

Sounds like the Mash could be the go for you, if the budget can stretch…

Thanks everyone for the help, explanations and advice!

Looks like i’m down to a Nature Boy or Mash, possibly still Colossi though (dont want to rule that out).

But as fate would have it, I blew all my money on a set of race wheels for track.

Anyway, this will be shelved for a little while until the cash flow recovers… Might just get myself a set of velocity’s and brakes for my Bridgestone to satisfy my SS needs in the short term.

Cheers

Another +1 to the Nature Boy.
I rode mine for nearly 3 years, jumped it off gutters, popped wheelies on it everywhere and all the other fun commuter stuff with no issues. I had the fancy drop outs on mine, which never broke. So either I’m really smooth, or I got lucky.
I didn’t like it off road, which is why I sold it and bought a SS rigid 29er (now 1*10). I wasn’t really commuting on it too much near the end of my ownership, so cleared it to buy a bike I would ride.

The new owner I assume is still riding it. I did get sent a photo of it a month or so ago of it set up fixed.
I got the Nature Boy because it was in tall mans size.

This

what size are you after? I have a very good condition Specialized Tricross Singlecross in 56.

light and nice alloy frame, carbon fork combo. a couple of nice upgrade parts (sealed Stolen headset & Salsa clamp). 120mm spacing for use with any track hubs/wheels.

Very cool bike, have kept it for a few years as i wanted to keep it for another project - but it’s surplus to needs. PM me if you’re interested.

This looks pretty neat. Was considering an All City macho man disc but i do like the tapered ht on offer here…
But what the hell is the distributor thinking on pricing?! Australian RRP for frame/fork is $1,099 versus $599 in the US of A??

For 1,099 i’ll go get myself a macho king disc thank you very much. tapered ht, carbon fork and reynolds 853…

Jelmer - the Macho King Disc looks amazing. i want one.

Yup, that’s a difference of 35% (before tax)… that’s excessive to say the least.

Yep they best lay off what ever they are on, it’s not exactly a nice tube set.
Very cool but not $1000 cool.
Pay $300 more for a ritchey

I spoke too soon, looks like the new owner of my Nature Boy has broken it already.
I wonder if him running a 120mm wide hub instead of 130mm had anything to do with it?

Yes it does. The limited edition has a whiskey no9 through axle fork without the eyelets. I need one!

So where would we buy a Macho King Disc in Australia?

^ Contact user Rooster (Andy). I recall Andy saying that he orders them for Human Powered Cycles direct from All City’s parent company in the US.

Word on the street is that that fork is WAAAAY too stiff and overbuilt. Try to get a fork from a giant if you want TA

that was the reason they used the no.7 fork for the normal one. they even state that in the press release!

ok, now also in the market for one.

any thoughts on the State Thunderbird? currently on special at $1k

http://canrdlytreadlies.com.au/product/sscxthunderbirdnew/?attribute_pa_size=55

I do like the look of them…

as do i, and i understand they are made/sourced from china/taiwan. But i think for that price point is pretty decent for my purposes (commuter)

was hoping an FOAer has some inside info on them etc

There is a 55 one in Brunswick for sale. The guy has it advertised buy/sell cycling Victoria on Facebook,

Has upgrades too