That one legged guy

I first saw this guy in a bicycling magazine some 10+ (?) years ago.

Didn’t know at the time what a fixed geared bike was but the article amazed me … and now watching him ride almost brings a tear to my eye.

Great video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4398430481894509121&q=messenger+bike

Cheers
Des

I think the final quote is ‘i’ll be riding till I can no longer draw breath into my body’. Very moving.

I was at work one day and rode up to Dexter at the lights on 32 and 8th. I chatted with him briefly and we went our seperate ways. It’s a tough enough job for the able bodied. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

I think the final quote is ‘i’ll be riding till I can no longer draw breath into my body’. Very moving.

I was at work one day and rode up to Dexter at the lights on 32 and 8th. I chatted with him briefly and we went our seperate ways. It’s a tough enough job for the able bodied. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.[/quote]

I’ve seen a guy riding in Melbourne with one leg. He looked like a commuter to me - definitely not a messenger.

He was riding a freehub so I’m not sure how he managed to get on and off the bike but necessity breeds invention so he obviously worked it out.

Like Andy says, tough enough for the able-bodied.

there’s a mountain biker in Australia somewhere as well missing one of those important digits, by all accounts he’s a machine as well. I guess some things bring out the best in people in terms of drive and determination.

• Joel

Joel, the mtbr is up here in QLD, and does more for the sport that just an inspiration to watch. He turned his property into a 6.5km cross-country MTB course and regalarly holds races and events. We also have a lady up here whose left arm has a cleat at the end, and on her bars is a clipless pedal. Her quote at a recent race is fantastic “whenever I crash only two of my cleats detach, and one with stay with the bike, I am never sure which one”.

Amazing…

that’s pretty cool about the cleat. Great idea. I was at work today (buying bar tape, not working so much) and there was a roadie dealing with the lovely Claire, didn’t take too much notice with him as I was dealing with the other lovely Claire, but then he turned around and I realised he only had his right leg!

Running an otherwise normal roadie, he made a joke about going to outboard bearing cranks and not being able to ditch the weight of the left crankarm anymore!

• Joel