The Italian Stallion

Hey there,

For those of you who don’t know me, my name’s Joel and here is my build. After commuting daily on a road bike for the past couple of years, and acquiring a growing sense of boredom, fixed has become the next step. I held off until I finished studying uni earlier this year so I could afford to put this together (as opposed to buying cheap shitty parts to save time & cash). After about 4-5 months of acquiring parts, my ride is finally complete. It’s not perfect, but I’m happy with it for a first build. Here it is: -

58cm Montagner Track Frame. Has numerous chips in the paintwork, but that’s what you get for a frame that was built in the mid-to-late 80’s. Dropouts I believe are Gipiemme as there is no obvious stamp (Spirito, as a previous owner of a Montagner perhaps you can enlighten me?)
Campagnolo Headset
Campagnolo Pista Record Cranks w/ Campagnolo 48t Chainring
Campagnolo Pista Bottom Bracket
Nitto Pearl Stem w/ Nitto Drops wrapped in Cinelli Bar Tape
Campagnolo Record Pista Hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro Rims with DT Swiss Spokes
Phil Wood Cog 17t, unknown lockring
HKK Vertex Chain
Shimano Ultegra Brake w/ Dia-Compe Dirty Harry Lever
Shimano Pedals (Cleats one side, flats the other)
Colnago Selcof Seat Post w/ Campagnolo Binder Bolt
Selle Italia Filante Seat
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Tyres
Chrome Fork from Abbotsford Cycles

Will no doubt swap the seat over to something better and swap the drops to bullhorns in the near future.

I hope to start attending the Melbourne Wednesday Night Rides on a regular basis and to just start getting involved with the Fixed community in general. If you see me out and about, feel free to say hello.

Cheers

nice, lovin the paint.

very slick. Great build!
How are you going riding fixed instead of gears?

Ace. Only got finished off today but have given it a good ride this afternoon. Really comfortable, and compared to my roadie incredibly light. Good gear ratio for generally-flat Melbourne too…

Looks great Joel!

looks really nice, classy set of parts too.

do you ever go to clip in, and realise you’re on the wrong side of the pedal?

Thanks! If you look at the right pedal you see the flat side hangs forward due to the weight distribution. It takes a little bit of getting used to, it’s honestly as simple as pushing the pedal forward with your foot each time to cleat in without any issues.

I like these pedals a lot (they were on the roadie for about 1 and a 1/2 years)…

great build- might want to straighten the seat up as its if the nose is down the pressure will build up:-)

Yeah that was adjusted shortly after the photo :slight_smile:

The frame is for sale: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bacchus-marsh/men-s-bicycles/vintage-italian-track-frame/1306849575

fffffffffffffffffffffffffuckin thread dig

2 Likes

this is deep fixed.org lore.

2 Likes

joel’s a good dude.

1 Like

He’s got a nice Graham Weigh for sale too: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bacchus-marsh/men-s-bicycles/tricolour-road-bike-with-shimano-600-tricolour-groupset/1306850326