The Photography Thread

sony are pretty good too with vintage lenses, don’t let the fuji guys cloud your judgement :stuck_out_tongue:

the a6000 range are pretty compact and cheap with an adaptor and vintage lens =]

Correct, Sony are producing excellent cameras at the moment and their autofocus stands out way above the rest. Great for action shots etc.

For those who are interested. I bought a range of film from Ikigai Film Lab — Check out All the Products of Ikigai Film Lab

And I currently have a single roll of film being developed at https://www.rewindphotolab.com.au/

See how I go!

On another topic - I saw lemontimes using a fandangle usb-c hub to transfer his h_ngry photos from dslr camera > social media/cloud.

Seems like such a simple thing that i’d never thought about and blatantly copied him as I always find my pictures reside on computers or on the camera and rarely get used/posted as getting them onto/off the computer was a hassle.

Anyway - how good are sd card readers - has really opened up my phone/camera. Feel a bit luddite-y for not getting onto this earlier.

Yup! They are great… I used one for a while but then I got the wifi transfer from camera to phone… game changer.

Shitty lit bar shooting at 1/60 f4 25600. Turns out you chuck it in black and white and add some additional grain/contrast it looks like some faster speed black and white film. I’ll chuck up some samples soonish.

PSA: Don’t forget that for free accounts, as of Feb 5th Flickr will start deleting photos starting at the oldest until you have <1000 images.

Archive 'em while you can:

I just checked this out, and you can get Flickr to ‘zip-up’ a whole album and email you a link when it’s ready to download.

More tedious initially but maybe easier for sorting later?

That’s an option too:

FYI: for my account of ~6000 images. flickr downloadr ran overnight and completed successfully. flickr data request took about 4hrs to process and serve up 14 zip archives, approx 3GB.

Were you tempted to pay? I’m tempted to pay

Nope. They increased their rates without enough tangible benefits (I was Pro for years, lapsed recently), the community has been neglected for so long under yahoo that it’s a shadow of it’s former self. It’ll be annoying that some of my [img] tags become broken links, but I can reupload them.

What will you use instead?

I’ve decided to go against online storage and just bought 2 TB hard drives for storage.
Took me a long time to download it all as I use high res files.
If you choose online you are at the mercy of these companies.

I would suggest Amazon S3 if you’re looking for somewhere to just dump them all, and not really have a nice interface to view them all. The infrequent access plan is only 2c per GB per Month (plus transfer fee) Amazon S3 Simple Storage Service Pricing - Amazon Web Services

I have a synology NAS for storage / backup / media serving. RAID 1. It also syncs online for the actually important files.

I really need to look into the backup system down the track. Something simple, and not bulky would be ideal.

I have this, only need a pair of drives to get it up and running (and a week of sorting out your mess of backup drives). There are more powerful 2 drive models that can do things like on the fly video transcoding for a plex server, whereas this can’t (can run plex for the DB and serve via uPNP etc). But it does do Time Machine / iTunes server and has a lot of other functionality for organising / storing / syncing data, running security cameras.

This is very helpful

I already do back things up to two hard drives manually. It’s a bit of a pain and I was after something more integrated like this.

I usually use Flickr to share stuff and use it to hyperlink to forums. Not so much to store stuff.

Given you can (for now) put unlimited photos on your google photos account at web resolution, you can store there and share photos/albums easily enough. You might already be auto uploading to it.

Could get a NAS with a pair of say 2-4TB drives, automate your backups from phone/computer to it, schedule cloud sync for the crucial stuff to a free/paid service (eg setup a new gmail account and get 15gb for Drive or pay for more or with backblaze etc), and occasionally plug in a portable drive and take a complete copy that you move offsite.